65.5 MB of space used for file system information?

Old December 6th 05, 06:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default 65.5 MB of space used for file system information?

I have a new Seagate 80 gig barracuda which I partitioned into 3 drives.

One drive is approx. 5.5 gigs (fat 32). It is empty yet has 4kb of used space.

The next drive is approx. 35.9 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.5 MB of used space.

The next drive is approx. 33.4 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.4 MB of used space.

My question is why do the NTFS drives need to use so much space for (partition and file system information, I imagine)? It seems
like too much. Did I do something wrong?

Old December 6th 05, 06:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Primal Ooze" wrote in message m...
I have a new Seagate 80 gig barracuda which I partitioned into 3 drives.

One drive is approx. 5.5 gigs (fat 32). It is empty yet has 4kb of used space.

The next drive is approx. 35.9 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.5 MB of used space.

The next drive is approx. 33.4 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.4 MB of used space.

My question is why do the NTFS drives need to use so much space for (partition and file system information, I imagine)? It seems
like too much. Did I do something wrong?

The OS is Win XP and I used the installation disk that came with the hard drive. Would it be better to use fdisk?

Old December 6th 05, 07:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

In article ,
says...

The OS is Win XP and I used the installation disk that came with the hard drive. Would it be better to use fdisk?

it will be the same . give it a try ....

--
gruss , wolfgang
---@
Old December 6th 05, 11:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously Primal Ooze wrote:
I have a new Seagate 80 gig barracuda which I partitioned into 3 drives.

One drive is approx. 5.5 gigs (fat 32). It is empty yet has 4kb of used space.

The next drive is approx. 35.9 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.5 MB of used space.

The next drive is approx. 33.4 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.4 MB of used space.

My question is why do the NTFS drives need to use so much space for (partition and file system information, I imagine)? It seems
like too much. Did I do something wrong?

You likely do not know much about filesystem design. And no, 0.2% is
not too much by most standards.

Arno

Old December 6th 05, 01:43 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Primal Ooze wrote:

One drive is approx. 5.5 gigs (fat 32). It is empty yet has 4kb of used
space.

The next drive is approx. 35.9 gig (NTFS). It is empty yet has 65.5 MB
of used space.

My question is why do the NTFS drives need to use so much space for
(partition and file system information, I imagine)? It seems like too
much. Did I do something wrong?

I think NTFS counts its index files as "used space" whereas FAT32 counts
its two FAT copies not as used space (they could be outside the given
partition size), so you have only the root directory as initially used
space.

65 MB of admin data for 35 GB is about 0.2%. That's not that much... the
FAT32 partition tables may well be in that range, too, even though they
don't appear as "used space".

Nothing wrong.

Gerhard
Old December 6th 05, 02:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Gerhard Fiedler" wrote in message ...
Primal Ooze wrote:

[...]

Okey Dokey
Thanks guys