problem upgrading to XP

Old October 27th 03, 03:22 AM
freezedriedfrank

Default problem upgrading to XP

System: Compaq Presario 5000 series, 5BW251

Problem: It came with ME installed. I tried to upgrade to XP Pro by
booting from the XP install disk. It booted ok and started the
install. It formated the harddrive to fat32, copied files and tried to
reboot to continue the install.

But when it tries to boot from the harddrive it stops with an "NTLDR
not found" error. Now what do I do?

Frank

Old October 27th 03, 09:30 PM
Just a friend

"freezedriedfrank" wrote in message
| System: Compaq Presario 5000 series, 5BW251
|
| Problem: It came with ME installed. I tried to upgrade to XP Pro by
| booting from the XP install disk. It booted ok and started the
| install. It formated the harddrive to fat32, copied files and tried to
| reboot to continue the install.
|
| But when it tries to boot from the harddrive it stops with an "NTLDR
| not found" error. Now what do I do?

Read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314057

JaF

Old October 27th 03, 11:18 PM
freezedriedfrank

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:30:48 GMT, "Just a friend"
wrote:

"freezedriedfrank" wrote in message
.. .
| System: Compaq Presario 5000 series, 5BW251
|
| Problem: It came with ME installed. I tried to upgrade to XP Pro by
| booting from the XP install disk. It booted ok and started the
| install. It formated the harddrive to fat32, copied files and tried to
| reboot to continue the install.
|
| But when it tries to boot from the harddrive it stops with an "NTLDR
| not found" error. Now what do I do?

Read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314057

JaF

Thankyou, I'll give it a try.

Frank

Old October 28th 03, 12:02 AM
freezedriedfrank

wrote:

"freezedriedfrank" wrote in message
. ..
| System: Compaq Presario 5000 series, 5BW251
|
| Problem: It came with ME installed. I tried to upgrade to XP Pro by
| booting from the XP install disk. It booted ok and started the
| install. It formated the harddrive to fat32, copied files and tried to
| reboot to continue the install.
|
| But when it tries to boot from the harddrive it stops with an "NTLDR
| not found" error. Now what do I do?

Read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314057

JaF

Thankyou, I'll give it a try.

Frank

Nope, dosen't work. Maybe I should try Linux?
Old November 3rd 03, 12:00 PM
MIRSE

| But when it tries to boot from the harddrive it stops with an "NTLDR
| not found" error. Now what do I do?

Read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314057

JaF

Thankyou, I'll give it a try.

Frank

Nope, dosen't work. Maybe I should try Linux?

*******
Have you tried google? Type in something like "NTLDR problem", or "WinXP won't
install".