ze5170: would 7200rpm drive be noticeable faster?

Old April 22nd 11, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
mscir

Default ze5170: would 7200rpm drive be noticeable faster?

I have an old ZE5170 that runs great. I bumped up the RAM from 512kb to
1MB - the max it can handle - and it's now fast enough to work well with
the latest FF and Chrome browsers. I don't need a lot of power, it's
used for email, web browsing, writing PHP and Visual Basic, so it's fast
enough for everything I do. It still has the original hard drive
(5400rpm 40GB ATA 100 IDE), and I was wondering if buying a 7200rpm
drive would result in any noticeable speed improvement?
Old April 22nd 11, 11:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
mike

mscir wrote:
I have an old ZE5170 that runs great. I bumped up the RAM from 512kb to
1MB - the max it can handle - and it's now fast enough to work well with
the latest FF and Chrome browsers. I don't need a lot of power, it's
used for email, web browsing, writing PHP and Visual Basic, so it's fast
enough for everything I do. It still has the original hard drive
(5400rpm 40GB ATA 100 IDE), and I was wondering if buying a 7200rpm
drive would result in any noticeable speed improvement?

I had to send my 7200rpm drive in for warranty replacement.
Meantime, I used a 5400. The "feel" was noticeably slower.
But, once you get booted and the browser is running, you have
enough memory that the speed of the drive shouldn't impact
your browsing.

Your statement, "it's fast enough for everything I do"
suggests that you'd be spending money for nothing...well,
maybe shorter battery life.
Old April 23rd 11, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
mscir

On 4/22/2011 3:02 PM, mike wrote:
mscir wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike

Sorry I didn't give a more complete description above, I dual boot
Ubuntu/XP and I could do with a bit more hard drive space, so I'm
looking at which drives to buy. Thanks for your answer, that settled it
for me, 7200 is the way to go.

Thanks,
Mike
Old April 28th 11, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_8_]

"mscir" wrote in message
On 4/22/2011 3:02 PM, mike wrote:
mscir wrote:
[...]

Hope I'm not too late - but watch out if you're replacing a 5400 laptop
drive with a 7200 - the 7200s get hotter and some laptop drive enclosures
don't have ventilation or good air movement. Might be worth doing some deep
googling for your particular laptop before upgrading.

I have just upgraded my Dell 6400 laptop in exactly the same way - primary
goal was more space (100 up to 500GB) and it does get warmer. Its also more
audible.

Just food for thought for you!

Old May 7th 11, 05:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 4/28/2011 6:57 AM, GT wrote:
wrote in message
On 4/22/2011 3:02 PM, mike wrote:
mscir wrote:
[...]

GT,
I got the new 7200rpm drive and was very surprised to see that the old
drive is 4200rpm! I can't imagine why they would put that into a 2GHz
machine! I've run both XP and Ubuntu for many hours each with no
problems, so the heat may not be that big of a problem.
Thanks,
Mike

Anyone seen a 2.5" 7200RPM SATA hard drive at a capacity greater than 200GB? Spin[_2_] General 10 March 24th 08 06:20 PM
HP ZE5170 fans Łukasz Wolak General 3 March 30th 06 07:04 PM
Does a modern 7200rpm drive _NEED_ dedicated cooling? [email protected] Storage (alternative) 4 January 27th 05 02:07 PM
P2B 7200rpm hard drive? helen rando Asus Motherboards 8 December 18th 03 02:15 AM
Best quiet SATA 7200rpm drive for RAID1 Metaphoid Storage (alternative) 4 July 11th 03 10:04 PM