External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?

Old December 16th 10, 04:24 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mark F[_2_]

Default External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:01:28 -0800, "W"
wrote:

"Mark F" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:40:43 -0500, Mark F
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 00:22:13 -0800, "W"
wrote:

Here is an example of when I needed to mount a SCSI device on a host

through
USB or eSATA. Today I had a Windows 2000 box that I needed to

virtualize
and bring over to a server. I can run the utility to turn the

computer
into a virtual machine image, but how do I get the files from this box

the destination. I have SCSI on the box and USB 1.0. Using USB

1.0, I
can mount a SATA drive, but the conversion utility tells me it will

take 17
hours to run. If I can use a SCSI device that cuts down to two

hours.

Assuming I target the files to a SCSI drive, once the conversion

finishes,
now I need to get those files over to the virtual server. What I

would
like to do is physically remove that SCSI device, attach it to an

adapter to
USB or eSATA, and then hot attach it to the virtual server.

My application is simply getting quick connectivity to the drive, in

order
to transfer data. I have no requirements for any kind of enclosure,

and
this is not long term storage.

Oops, I missed this one, which seems to do exactly what you want:
Addonics ADSALVD160:
http://www.addonics.com/products/io/adsalvd160.asp
"Home Products I/O Converter SATA to SCSI Converter
The SATA -SCSI converter instantly turns any fast low cost Serial ATA
hard drive to a LVD160 SCSI hard drive. There is no driver to install
and it works practically with any OS. The converter also supports
SCSI performance up to Ultra LVD160 SCSI standard, ensuring maximum
performance of the Serial ATA hard drive."

That product converts a SATA drive into a SCSI drive. I'm doing the
reverse: converting a SCSI drive into a SATA drive.

I thought you had a machine with a SCSI drive, with no USB 2,
no IDE, no SATA, no room to put in a SATA board, and no way to
remove the SCSI drive from the machine. Thus were only
choices were connecting to USB 1 (or other slow connection) or
SCSI.

I think that the hardware I pointed to allows for connection of a
SATA drive to a SCSI adapter. (If you could remove the SCSI drive
from the machine and you couldn't put a SCSI controller in the
other machine then you would need a converter that goes the
other way. I didn't look recently, but when I tried a couple
of years ago I couldn't find anything to connect a SCSI drive to
IDE.)
Old December 16th 10, 09:05 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
W[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Okay, I see your point, sorry.

I have an external hotswap container that takes proprietary trays, so this
wouldn't be ideal, but you are right it works if no other options are
available.