Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

Old April 26th 08, 12:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
abonne

Default Does a network storage to USB drive converter exist?

Hello:

I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
(SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
configurable to access the specific networked storage.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

-- A.
Old April 26th 08, 02:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Bill Todd

abonne wrote:
Hello:

I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
(SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
configurable to access the specific networked storage.

I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
would just look like networked storage.

- bill
Old April 26th 08, 02:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
abonne

Bill Todd wrote:
abonne wrote:
Hello:

I wonder if any converters are out there, to make a networked storage
(SMB share, NDAS, ...) appear as a USB drive. That would be a small box
with a USB male connector and a 1GB Ethernet socket, remotely
configurable to access the specific networked storage.

I don't have a pointer to one that's available today, but I own an
inexpensive USB-to-RJ45 converter cable (not even a box) that (with the
installed software) allows me to access my local network through a USB
1.1 port on my old laptop (which lacks a built-in network port). It
would not make the remote storage 'appear as a USB drive', though: it
would just look like networked storage.

- bill

So it presents itself to the host system as a network card, like this
device:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/N...-152000210.htm

, right? It looks like a network card, not a storage, it is up to the
system to make further conversions.

I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
system directly as a USB disk drive.

Thanks.

-- Andy
Old April 26th 08, 04:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne abonne@free wrote:

Bill Todd wrote:
abonne wrote:
[...]

Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
software an a spciel USB slave interface card.

Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
a different way?

Arno

Old April 26th 08, 06:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Eric Gisin

Not really possible.
USB drives are block devices that can be formatted,
and SMB is file based and does not provide block access.

It would be possible with iSCSI, but there is little market for that.

Old April 26th 08, 07:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
abonne

Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne abonne@free wrote:

.... snipped
I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
system directly as a USB disk drive.

Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
software an a spciel USB slave interface card.

Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
a different way?

Arno

Ok. Let's forget it. I have a set-top box that can record to a USB
drive; I don't want to put a dedicated drive next to it, but rather use
the shared storage accessible via my home network. Another (im)possible
option would be a virtual USB cable extender that works over the
Ethernet... (I know there are USB extenders that work over the Ethernet
*cable*, but I'd rather use the general network.)

-- Andy
Old April 27th 08, 12:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage abonne abonne@free wrote:

... snipped
I am looking for a different device - which would present itself to the
system directly as a USB disk drive.

Not easily done and requires a full computer with USB drive emulation
software an a spciel USB slave interface card.

Short form: Forget it. What are you trying to do? Maybe there is
a different way?

Arno

Ok. Let's forget it. I have a set-top box that can record to a USB
drive; I don't want to put a dedicated drive next to it, but rather use
the shared storage accessible via my home network. Another (im)possible
option would be a virtual USB cable extender that works over the
Ethernet... (I know there are USB extenders that work over the Ethernet
*cable*, but I'd rather use the general network.)

Hmm, tricky. Best find out whether this box can record to network,
e.g. via samba, ftp, or the like.

If not, an USB extender (not over the netwrok, as that has the
prblems I originaly mentioned) is your best option.

Arno