Where Is My 1TB Big Disk LaCie Drive?

Old April 11th 08, 06:07 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
maria

Default Where Is My 1TB Big Disk LaCie Drive?

This is the second time it is happening.
I have lost the LaCie drive. It is not listed anywhere.
It has two partitions on it with many thousands of files.
The first time it happened, I disconnected everything
and then reconnected everything, and the drive came
back. I did the same thing 3 times this time, and ... nothing
happened. It is the LaCie Big Disk 1TB drive.
Windows XP, 3.4GB CPU, 2GB RAM.
Thanks!

maria
Old April 11th 08, 06:53 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
maria

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:07:37 -0400, maria
wrote:

This is the second time it is happening.
I have lost the LaCie drive. It is not listed anywhere.
It has two partitions on it with many thousands of files.
The first time it happened, I disconnected everything
and then reconnected everything, and the drive came
back. I did the same thing 3 times this time, and ... nothing
happened. It is the LaCie Big Disk 1TB drive.
Windows XP, 3.4GB CPU, 2GB RAM.
Thanks!

maria

Well, I disconnected everything again, and then
I let the LaCie drive get cold. Believe it or not,
it came back when I reconnected it.
Obviously, it does have a heating problem.
I read about it somewhere in this group.
Thank you!

maria
Old April 11th 08, 08:11 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
maria

wrote:

This is the second time it is happening.
I have lost the LaCie drive. It is not listed anywhere.
It has two partitions on it with many thousands of files.
The first time it happened, I disconnected everything
and then reconnected everything, and the drive came
back. I did the same thing 3 times this time, and ... nothing
happened. It is the LaCie Big Disk 1TB drive.
Windows XP, 3.4GB CPU, 2GB RAM.
Thanks!

maria

Well, I disconnected everything again, and then
I let the LaCie drive get cold. Believe it or not,
it came back when I reconnected it.
Obviously, it does have a heating problem.
I read about it somewhere in this group.
Thank you!

maria

It looks like I spoke too fast!
It is dead again.

maria
Old April 11th 08, 04:43 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
maria

wrote:

[...]

More on the saga of the LaCie drive.
After several hours of trying to bring it back,
it just happened! I booted the machine with the drive off,
and then I turned it on, and there it was!
The data, including 1756 PSD files from my Photoshop work,
plus ... 60,000 photos that I took myself,
was still there! Unbelievable!

Later ...

maria
Old April 11th 08, 11:49 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

wrote:

[...]

you should consider doing backups. They're kind of handy.

Old April 12th 08, 02:54 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
maria

wrote:

[...]

Backup, that WAS the backup!

maria
Old April 12th 08, 03:31 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Gary R. Schmidt

wrote:

[...]

Then it's possibly/probably dying - get a new one (perhaps from a vendor
other than LaCie[1]) and replace it. Now.

Unreliable backups *aren't* backups.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

1 - No, I'm not saying that "LaCie are bad" but as there is a /possible/
problem with this one I'd suggest getting an alternate.

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries
Old April 18th 08, 04:08 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Guy Dawson

maria wrote:

maria

you should consider doing backups. They're kind of handy.

Backup, that WAS the backup!

So you have the master copies on another drive...

Time to get a new backup drive I think.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Old April 20th 08, 04:57 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
maria

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:08:43 +0100, Guy Dawson
wrote:

maria wrote:

maria
you should consider doing backups. They're kind of handy.

Backup, that WAS the backup!

So you have the master copies on another drive...

Time to get a new backup drive I think.

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Again, this LaCie drive is just unbelievable!
For 3 days I tried to make it come back, to no avail.
I turned it off and on 100 times. I turned the computer,
off and on 100 times. I connected it to my previous DELL computer
that I use as a backup: NOTHING. I connected it to a laptop
and played with it for a couple of hours: NOTHING.
This morning, after I rebooted my machine, "her highness" LaCie,
returned from oblivion. However, I got a message from the computer
saying that all the data on the drive was lost! Hahahaha!
Listen to this: when I rebooted again, madame LaCie came back
enthusiastically, triumphantly, and with absolutery no error on it
whatsoever.
The drive is still in warranty. The LaCie people told me to ...
change computer and/or data cable. ... Great support, I might add.
Hahahaha!

Later ...

maria
Old April 20th 08, 11:58 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

quit screwing around. call lacie say it make smoke. send that **** back.