Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

Old April 10th 08, 02:50 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Default Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
I can't speak for their RAID cards, but the SCSI card in my old desktop
was flaky from day one. After numerous tech support equiries, driver &
firmware updates, it still bluescreens my computer occasionally.

I will never buy another Adaptec product.

I run the Adaptec SCSI card (160MB/s, the one with Windows driver
"adpu160m") for 8 years or so. No issues.

The problem with Adaptec is not that all their products are bad. The
problem is that you cannot tell beforehand, as some are really, really
bad, while others are acceptable. All are expensive though, which makes
the bad ones completely unacceptable.

Arno

Old April 10th 08, 03:55 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

"Arno **** UP" wrote in message ...

The problem with Adaptec is not that all their products are bad. The
problem is that you cannot tell beforehand, as some are really, really
bad, while others are acceptable. All are expensive though, which makes
the bad ones completely unacceptable.

No, the problem is idiots like you who don't have a ****ing clue.

Only their RAID lineup has problems. SCSI-3 adapters are dirt cheap on ebay.
Old April 10th 08, 04:03 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Cydrome Leader

In comp.arch.storage Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:41:36 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cydrome Leader wrote:
In comp.arch.storage Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Cydrome Leader wrote:
In comp.arch.storage Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Doug White wrote:

I can name you a lot with the 2410SA. Non-functional
commandline-interface that does not allow any automatisation.
Keeps dropping drives. Takes forever to resync. No SMART support
despite claims to the contrary. Incompetent technical support.

Expensive trash.

Arno

never had a drive drop or resync problems, and i've intentionally broken
arrays by yanking out the sata cables on a live system.

what firmware versions are you running?

As this thing was unusable and I had to get the storage running,
it has been disposed of by now, I expect. I bought it 4 years
ago.

This card didn't even exist 4 years ago.

Product Reviews - Hard disks - Adaptec Serial ATA RAID 2410SA:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/50553...id-2410sa.html

PC Pro ISSUE: 111 DATE: Jan 04

Thanks. Seems some people are shamelessly lying just to give the
impression some others are wrong. Disgusting.

Arno

So, has anybody come up with a single problem with the 2420sa yet, or do
we have more stories about how your 1740 sucked 30 years ago, then 15 then
you forgot because you never even had one.

2402sa = excellent sata RAID card.

Old April 10th 08, 04:35 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
nik Simpson

Bob Willard wrote:

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece of hardware, or glitches due to
software or environment or fumble-fingers. IMHO, since the HD is one
of the most reliable pieces of a PC, RAID-1 has very little value
for a home.

Hmm, if I look at all the hardware failures I've in the last 15 or so
years, hard disks are probably the least reliable part of my desktops. I
can't recall a CPU, memory, graphics card or motherboard failure in that
time, maybe I'm just lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it.)
--
Nik Simpson
Old April 10th 08, 05:29 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

I never had a 1740 and never claimed I did. You are confused.

2402sa = excellent sata RAID card.

Look to the source of this information to assess credibility.

Arno

Old April 10th 08, 08:25 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

I run the Adaptec SCSI card (160MB/s, the one with Windows driver
"adpu160m") for 8 years or so. No issues.

The problem with Adaptec is not that all their products are bad.

Thanks. For me, this really means - bad products.

All are expensive though

Yes. LSI/Tekram controller (Windows driver "sym_u3") is much cheaper and also
works OK.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old April 10th 08, 08:54 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

nik Simpson wrote
Bob Willard wrote

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection against failures of any other piece of hardware, or
glitches due to software or environment or fumble-fingers. IMHO, since the HD is one of the most reliable pieces of
a PC, RAID-1 has very little value for a home.

Hmm, if I look at all the hardware failures I've in the last 15 or so years, hard disks are probably the least
reliable part of my desktops. I can't recall a CPU, memory, graphics card or motherboard failure in that time, maybe
I'm just lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it.)

Sure, but plenty get that with hard drives too.

Old April 10th 08, 09:15 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On 10 Apr 2008 13:48:40 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
to keyboard and composed:

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:41:36 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
put finger to keyboard and composed:

In comp.arch.storage Arno Wagner wrote:

As this thing was unusable and I had to get the storage running,
it has been disposed of by now, I expect. I bought it 4 years
ago.

This card didn't even exist 4 years ago.

Product Reviews - Hard disks - Adaptec Serial ATA RAID 2410SA:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/50553...id-2410sa.html

PC Pro ISSUE: 111 DATE: Jan 04

Thanks. Seems some people are shamelessly lying just to give the
impression some others are wrong. Disgusting.

Arno

That's happened to me as well. I know how you feel, especially when
you catch them out.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 10th 08, 09:15 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:12:28 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

In comp.arch.storage Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:41:36 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
put finger to keyboard and composed:

This card didn't even exist 4 years ago.

Product Reviews - Hard disks - Adaptec Serial ATA RAID 2410SA:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/50553...id-2410sa.html

a 2420sa isn't a 2410sa, kind of like how 3 isn't equal to 7

I was addressing your misinformation, not your model preference, kind
of like how 2008 - 2004 = 4. Maybe the 2420SA is a good card, I
wouldn't know, but I do know that the 2410SA is at least 4 years old.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 10th 08, 11:08 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
I run the Adaptec SCSI card (160MB/s, the one with Windows driver
"adpu160m") for 8 years or so. No issues.

The problem with Adaptec is not that all their products are bad.

Thanks. For me, this really means - bad products.

Indeed. My take also.

All are expensive though

Yes. LSI/Tekram controller (Windows driver "sym_u3") is much
cheaper and also works OK.

I have heard good things about 3ware under Linux, but was too
cheap to get one so far. We also have some 8-way Arceas at
work (als under Linux) that are really fast and reliable. Only
downside is that you need to patch the driver into the kernel
manually.

Arno