obtaining dell xp media center 2005 software

Old February 14th 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mwahahahahaaahaa

Default obtaining dell xp media center 2005 software

Hello all, please note I'm NOT asking for pirated software! From what
I've read, and from talking to Dell representatives, this isn't
pirating. I just bought a laptop used, and it didn't come with the
restore disks. It DID come with the Certificate of Authenticity and
product key for windows xp media center edition 2005 which grants me
ownership. Does anyone know where I can download the software only to
reinstall my OS? The regular OEM installation CD wont work.. and Dell
wants to charge an arm and a leg for it.. any help would be
appreciated!

PS As far as I am aware it is perfectly legal to have backup copies of
sotware as long as a serial number isn't included.. so if I'm wrong it
isn't intentional. Thanks!

Old February 14th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mwahahahahaaahaa

By the way, it is for a Inspiron e1405. Thanks!

Old February 14th 07, 09:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Mwahahahahaaahaa" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello all, please note I'm NOT asking for pirated software! From what
I've read, and from talking to Dell representatives, this isn't
pirating. I just bought a laptop used, and it didn't come with the
restore disks. It DID come with the Certificate of Authenticity and
product key for windows xp media center edition 2005 which grants me
ownership. Does anyone know where I can download the software only to
reinstall my OS? The regular OEM installation CD wont work.. and Dell
wants to charge an arm and a leg for it.. any help would be
appreciated!

PS As far as I am aware it is perfectly legal to have backup copies of
sotware as long as a serial number isn't included.. so if I'm wrong it
isn't intentional. Thanks!

Purchase the disk only on ebay. Should be able to pick it up for $20 or so.
Make SURE you get the Dell branded disk, as it will install without
activation. It is legal with your COA.

Old February 14th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:49:41 -0500, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

"Mwahahahahaaahaa" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

The following is assuming it's legal and correct me if I'm wrong...
If that's the case, I might have a spare to sell, since I got 2
e1405's last year and both with mce2005. I guess I can sell one of
the disks since the disk is the same for each, correct? And I suppose
I can burn a copy if I need to if the 2 laptops become separated?
Old February 14th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

wrote:

"Mwahahahahaaahaa" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I doubt if a copy will work. Personally, I wouldn't give one of mine up

Old February 14th 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote:

"Mwahahahahaaahaa" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

A copy will work, but I'd bet MS would consider that out of compliance with
the COA.

Let me re-phrase it by saying I *think* it will work, as it does work with
both Dell XP Home and Pro media.

Stew

Old February 15th 07, 12:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:36:02 -0600, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

"Mwahahahahaaahaa" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Stew, I think I get your point and if I'm right, I can understand why
now. I hadn't thought of it that way but from the outside looking in,
it looks questionable at best (even tho I didn't mean it to be).
Ok, I guess it's not for sale after all.
Old February 15th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dan

Call dell and ask for it (even out of warranty) 1-800-624-9896

Get your express service code ready

Dan

Old February 15th 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mwahahahahaaahaa

I'm sorry this is a vague issue on the legality, as most people don't
understand it, but Dell told me I could borrow a friends disc to
install it... so I take it, as with anything else microsoft that as
long as you have the COA, you OWN a copy.. doesn't have to be the
exact CD, because that isn't what you are purchasing. And I say that
because you can LEGALLY purchase a new CD from Dell and use the old
COA.. as well as LEGALLY borrow one from a friend or obtain a used one
online, etc.

If you could copy, or would like to even sell me your spare one.. I
think Dell wanted 40 bucks for theirs and for a little more I could
just go out and get a retail version.. I was just hoping there was a
place where I could DL the image.. that's all. Since I legally own the
rights to my copy, I just wanted to prevent having to shell out loads
of money for nothing.. especially for greedy corporations.

Old February 15th 07, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jupiter Jones

It is unlikely there is a download somewhere.
Did you ask the previous owner for the Cs?
Check EBay.

Restore CDs are regularly for sale.
You may need to watch for a while before a compatible set is available.

How much is Dell charging?

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar