Norton security startup overload, wtf?

Old January 2nd 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Norton security startup overload, wtf?

I've turned off autoscanning on startup and on whim in Norton in my
new Inspiron 6400, and the damn thing still can't even put up the
desktop after ten minutes, with (task manager reveals after ten
minutes) every program under the sun running at once, I think under
the influence of ccApp.exe

The deal I intuit is that Norton patches every program and runs it
to see if it's responding, as a check that it's not been tampered
with. I have to turn this thing off somehow. I won't get a desktop
before the battery dies, at this rate.

SO HOW DO I TURN THIS CRAP OFF?

It ties up both processors at the highest priority, apparently.

After 40 minutes now, I see it's only taking 20% of the processors.
There's nothing I'm running.

--
Ron Hardin

Old January 2nd 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

sorry to hear you're having problems still.
what is your config on the 6400??
i cant keep up with what you're doing. thought you had a b130, and
other computers you have heating your home.

if you have more than 30 processes running, which i'm sure you do, out
of the box, that 6400 ships with about 80. you are victim of BLOAT!
you have to uninstall and tame down all those processes.
get rid of that horrible norton, uninstall it.
you probably have the weakest 6400 that dell was selling on sale, it
really cannot handle all those processes.

run hijackthis and post a log and perhaps we can tell you what else to
remove! the dell decrapitizer works great to remove a lot of the crap
that ships with new systems.

Old January 2nd 07, 06:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:25:43 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

I've turned off autoscanning on startup and on whim in Norton in my
new Inspiron 6400, and the damn thing still can't even put up the
desktop after ten minutes,

I have McAfee right now, and have found both McAfee and Norton to be
system hogs compared to freeware counterparts.

I had the freeware ones and then decided to load "the real thing". I
am going back to Avast anti-virus (or AVG), Zone Alarm free, and will
find a good spyware program (forgot what I used before.. spybot I
think).

Others probably have their favorites.
Old January 2nd 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Jay B wrote:

sorry to hear you're having problems still.
what is your config on the 6400??
i cant keep up with what you're doing. thought you had a b130, and
other computers you have heating your home.

if you have more than 30 processes running, which i'm sure you do, out
of the box, that 6400 ships with about 80. you are victim of BLOAT!
you have to uninstall and tame down all those processes.
get rid of that horrible norton, uninstall it.
you probably have the weakest 6400 that dell was selling on sale, it
really cannot handle all those processes.

I1200 I2200 B130 and I6400. Plus my trusty main machine, a 1996
32mb win95 PC desktop.

I'm starting a comp center with deep-sale laptops :-) The 6400 though
has 2gb of ram so is just the victim of some dysfunctional bit of
software, and I suspect Norton. What it's out of is CPU time.

I think Norton runs all those guys that it keeps watch on, having
patched them to respond to it. Just a guess.

I had it quiet by turning off autoscan; maybe repartitioning the
HD provoked it to check everything again (since it had moved ; that's
a good signature for tampering, don't you think? I bet they use it
to mean recheck this.)

Shutting it down (after 2 hours it still hadn't given back the
processors completely) and restarting left it quiet again. Maybe
there's a bug in addition to a misfeature.
--
Ron Hardin

Old January 3rd 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message

snip

Just turn all of the schitt off via start/run/msconfig/startup/disable all.

Check the machine now after a reboot.

Re-enter msconfig and enable only the programs you want. Check performance
in between reboots.