EMC to IBM SAN LUN replication

Old September 20th 06, 11:58 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
mackdaddy315

Default EMC to IBM SAN LUN replication

Hello all,
I have been asked to look into possible solutions to replicate luns
between an IBM and EMC SAN. Our production data is on an existing IBM
SAN and we have just 'aquired' an EMC. Does anyone know of a product
from either company or third party to replicate LUNS accross the two??

thanks....

Old September 21st 06, 06:02 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
kpig

what do you mean replicate LUNs across? for DR, or ?

Also, what's the model of IBM storage you have and also model of EMC
storage you have? Firmware versions as well would be good

Old September 21st 06, 08:45 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Globe Treader

we have just 'aquired' an EMC

Most SAN vendors like others migrating onto them. Even though there are
standards for SAN, a lot of closed things exist. cross platform
replication is among that.

EMC provides SANCopy tool for one time migration from other arrays onto
EMC arrays. Hitachi may also provide something similar..but real time
synchrounous replication is yet to arrive if I am correct.

You may try a host level software, I believe EMC recently aquired one
similar company. Or simply utilise a host lelel DR solution to
replicate data across. e.g. I would assign same size of storage to the
host from both arrays. And then mirror the devices using volume manager
to maintain real time redundancy.

Kiran Ghag

Old September 21st 06, 12:39 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Igor Batinic

Hi!

mackdaddy315 wrote:
Hello all,
I have been asked to look into possible solutions to replicate luns
between an IBM and EMC SAN. Our production data is on an existing IBM
SAN and we have just 'aquired' an EMC. Does anyone know of a product
from either company or third party to replicate LUNS accross the two??

Theoretically, IBM SVC should be a proper solution. On the other hand,
it might be too expensive, especially if you have only two storage
enclosures.

Also, SVC is not working with some entry level enclosures, like EMC AX
100. It would be nice if you can give some other details, like type of
enclosures, SAN topology (with distances) etc.

With best regards,

Iggy
Old September 21st 06, 03:27 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
carmelomcc

EMC has a product that will replicate from any san to any san. It is
called kasha and is vender nuetral. It will work on any environment
and is host OS agnostic. That is the best solution on the market to do
what you are looking for.

Igor Batinic wrote:
Hi!

Old September 21st 06, 05:39 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Rob Turk

"mackdaddy315" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,
I have been asked to look into possible solutions to replicate luns
between an IBM and EMC SAN. Our production data is on an existing IBM
SAN and we have just 'aquired' an EMC. Does anyone know of a product
from either company or third party to replicate LUNS accross the two??

thanks....

You can use a vendor-neutral appliance to do this. Falconstor might be an
option for you

Rob

Old September 22nd 06, 01:49 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
carmelomcc

There are nurmous cluster filesystems that will work for your solution.

IE:

Windows
http://www.polyserve.com/matrix_server_windows.php

http://www.veritas.com

The real question is why do you need this? Is it for a high end
application or simple file sharing? If it is simple file sharing you
may want to use another solution. You would be making this overly
complicated for no reason.

Check out freenas.org they offer a linux OS specifc to nas that you can
use. It will install on the existing hardware that you are using and
provide CIFS access to the windows machines.

Old September 22nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Rob Turk

Ehh??? How is this related to the OP's question about LUN replication and/or
my suggestion?

Rob

ups.com...

Old September 29th 06, 07:10 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
mackdaddy315

All,
Sorry i was away for a while and have not been able to post back.
Basically what I am looking to do is create a hot spare site. I have a
set of Windows Clusters (file servers, exchange servers, and SQL
servers) currently connected to the IBM SAN. I am looking for the
ability to mirror those LUNS to the other SAN and have another node of
each cluster connected at the other site in case a complete site
failover is needed.

From what I know about the IBM LUN mirrorining option it would do this

with another IBM SAN but when you wanted to fail back you would have to
break the mirror set and recreate the mirror.