Abit NV8 chipset fans

Old June 1st 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default Abit NV8 chipset fans

We have a number of NV8 boards, which thanks to Microsoft's faith and trust in
us, via Product Activation, I really don't want to change. Some are showing
signs of impending northbridge fan failure. (nForce-4 single chip motherboard,
so I don't know if 'Northbridge' is appropriate any more).

Anyone know of a source of replacement fansinks for the NV8 ?

Jim
Old June 1st 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

In message , Jim Howes
writes
We have a number of NV8 boards, which thanks to Microsoft's faith and trust in
us, via Product Activation, I really don't want to change. Some are showing
signs of impending northbridge fan failure. (nForce-4 single chip motherboard,
so I don't know if 'Northbridge' is appropriate any more).

Anyone know of a source of replacement fansinks for the NV8 ?

Don't know about the nv8 specifically, but why not try a passive
solution:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...t.asp?code=014

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=SEO&U=strat15

http://www.puresilence.co.uk/catalog...oler-p-40.html

--
Chris
Old June 1st 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Chris wrote:
In message , Jim Howes
Anyone know of a source of replacement fansinks for the NV8 ?

Don't know about the nv8 specifically, but why not try a passive solution:

Interesting, but I'm looking for a fix that will restore the board to as-sold
condition. While passive cooling would be quieter, these machines are general
office environment under-desk systems, so standard noise levels are ok. If I
were to put an HP DL385 2U server in there, there would be noise complaints..

Anyhow, since writing that, I have had a reply from Abit technical (although the
original supplier is still not forthcoming with any response) stating that while
the board is within warranty, I can write to them, with a stamped-addressed
jiffy bag (A5), with two first-class stamps on it, enclosing a covering letter
detailing the serial numbers of the affected boards, and they will send me a
replacement fan within a week.

An envelope is now on it's way to Stevanage, so I'll report back next week then ;-)

Apart from crappy small diameter fans, I've always found Abit boards to be
practical and well built. It's nice to know that there is someone alive at Abit
responding to support requests, unlike certain internet service providers....

Jim