Cost of storage calculator?

Old May 15th 06, 11:32 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Cost of storage calculator?

They do not support Snapvault yet... It is only CIFS and NFS. What
deployment were you looking at this for?

It really only starts showing severe return on investment if you have
atleast 100TB of data and have a decent data growth problem (like
around 15 - 20%). Do you have that much data?

Steve.

Old May 18th 06, 04:48 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

wrote in message
oups.com...
They do not support Snapvault yet... It is only CIFS and NFS. What
deployment were you looking at this for?

It really only starts showing severe return on investment if you have
atleast 100TB of data and have a decent data growth problem (like
around 15 - 20%). Do you have that much data?

Steve.

Here's where I see its potential use for us.
In our environment we use NetApp's SnapVault to backup our primary filers
to remote R200s. These R200s have a long retention period, like 14 nightly
and 13 weekly of snapshots. We also use their OSSV (Open System SnapVault)
to backup Windows and Unix boxes. These too have the same retention of 13
weeks.
These snapshots consume a lot of space, some times 300% of the source. This
is due to large log/text
files that get rotated on a daily basis on the source. These could easily be
compressed, so a device like Storewiz sitting before these R200 could
compress the snapvault deltas in real-time thus saving us a good chunk of
space on the R200s.Not sure how much these units cost though, but then if
they are like $100K each it would be pointless . We could as well add more
shelves and not deal with another piece of hardware to manage.
Yes, we will be reaching 100TB pretty soon on these R200s.

-G