Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

Old April 12th 08, 05:55 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

Lon wrote
Rod Speed wrote
nik Simpson wrote
Bob Willard wrote

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1 only protects against failure of a HD, and
supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece of hardware, or glitches due
to software or environment or fumble-fingers. IMHO, since the HD
is one of the most reliable pieces of a PC, RAID-1 has very
little value for a home.

Hmm, if I look at all the hardware failures I've in the last 15 or
so years, hard disks are probably the least reliable part of my
desktops. I can't recall a CPU, memory, graphics card or
motherboard failure in that time, maybe I'm just lucky (or unlucky
depending on how you look at it.)

Sure, but plenty get that with hard drives too.

With an oddball hiccup in the measured reliability of all components
in systems, working for multiple vendors, I gotta go with hard drives.
This is SMD, IDE, EIDE, SCSI, FC, SATA.

I include MFM, RLL, EDSI etc etc etc too.

Generally anything with moving parts will be less reliable.

Its much more complicated than that.

Other highlights are parts where the user can get at them, plug them into something stupid, plug something stupid into
them, or pour various liquids on them.

And stuff that has a rather hard life like mouse cords etc.

Even way back when memory errors occurred, measured over an entire
install base, the memory was not that much different in reliability than the chips.

Yes, but it aint just chips that matter, most obviously with the problem with electros.

A few issues with UV EPROMS, but those are in the antique shop anyway.

Doesnt alter that fact that plenty havent had a hard drive failure and have had other stuff fail.

Old April 12th 08, 06:13 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Maxim S. Shatskih

Doesnt alter that fact that plenty havent had a hard drive failure and have
had
other stuff fail.

Fans are also unreliable.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old April 13th 08, 12:19 AM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

Doesnt alter that fact that plenty havent had a hard drive failure and have

had

other stuff fail.

Fans are also unreliable.

I think the OP would be better off putting the raid on a server and
configuring the desktop as just that -- a desktop.