ADSL ROUTER

Old June 24th 03, 11:19 PM
GeoffA

Default ADSL ROUTER

(^wilde^) wrote in message . com...
I've been using a Zoom x3 Modem/Router. It has an ethernet connection
to the PC (or in my case into a network Switch) and a form of
'firewall' called NAT/NAPT which basically hides your PC IP address
from the internet.

But I have a different IP everytime i connect to the net, will this
NAT/NAPT support this?
What do u think of the D-Link DSL-500 ADSL ROUTER?
http://www.adslguide.org/hardware/re...ink_dsl504.asp

Thx for the reply

Yes it does support this.
Like your ISP, my lot (VirginNet) have dynamic IP allocation - so
whatever bit of kit at your end connects to the Net will be allocated
a new IP address each time. With a USB modem this happens each time
you switch the PC on and connect. A modem/router is also allocated a
different IP address each time it connects, and will itself allocate
an IP address from its own 'pool' of numbers to your PC (or however
many PC's are on a home network). This pool of numbers can be the
default range preset by the factory, or your own range which you can
specify in the configuration pages. I simply left mine at the default
range. (10.0.0.3 to 10.0.0.14 if I remember correctly).

The router takes care of all the NAT/NAPT that's needed between the IP
addresses on your home network (even if it's just one PC) and the IP
allocated to it from the ISP. NAT/NAPT just masks the LAN side of
things from the WAN side of things. The router knows all the IP
addresses involved (LAN and WAN) and takes care of it all accordingly.

One other thing - I normally leave my router powered up so it's
permanently connected to my ISP (even though my PC is only switched on
when needed), so the IP address allocated from Virgin doesn't change
that often. Well, only if I lose the signal momentarily which has
happened only a couple of times in two weeks, and not whilst I've been
online.

I'm sorry but I don't know the D-Link router you mention, but I've
looked up the specs on the Net and it appears to do exactly the same
as my Zoom x3.

Sorry for the long-winded response - hope it makes sense!

Cheers

Geoff

What ADSL Modem Router ? Not wireless codeblue General 15 September 23rd 04 10:13 PM
NTL to PC and Xbox Scott Homebuilt PC's 8 September 14th 04 09:53 AM
ADSL Modem, Router, Switch configuration for UK Dave General 0 March 12th 04 11:13 AM
ADSL Router Russell Spicer General 2 March 6th 04 10:19 PM
Having trouble with one computer connecting to a wireless router which is connected to ADSL modem. Casey Hawthorne General 0 December 7th 03 04:51 AM