VXA tape flaw

Old February 5th 04, 03:21 AM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Arthur Begun wrote:
Read an article that predicts 27 gig capacity DVD's by 2006
will put tape out of business.

You think? 20G tape is "too small to bother with", 110G is "last
generation", and pretty soon you'll be measuring cartridges in
terabytes instead of gigabytes. How will they do it? Heck if I know,
but even if flexible media trails rigid media in the density curve
tape's got a whole lot of surface area to waste.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All
Old February 5th 04, 09:38 AM
Rob Turk

"Arthur Begun" wrote in message
om...
Read an article that predicts 27 gig capacity DVD's by 2006
will put tape out of business. (Hitachi or Sony just got a bunch of
patents on new laser technique that will allow increased capacity.)
Guess I'll keep the VXA till then.

Tape has been dead since 1969. I'm not worried.

Rob