DVD drive vanishes after ejecting

Old March 15th 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Greg Forschler

Default DVD drive vanishes after ejecting

I have a new Lenovo Windows 7 desktop PC and every time I play a CD
and then eject it, the drive suddenly vanishes from device manager, so
if I put another CD in, it will not auto play, and the drive is not
listed under Computer, or device manager, or in File Explorer. If I
reboot it comes back, but only for the first time I put a CD in, and
does the same thing when I eject it.
Any ideas how to prevent it from vanishing from the system?
Old March 17th 11, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Greg Forschler wrote:

I have a new Lenovo Windows 7 desktop PC and every time I play a CD
and then eject it, the drive suddenly vanishes from device manager, so
if I put another CD in, it will not auto play, and the drive is not
listed under Computer, or device manager, or in File Explorer. If I
reboot it comes back, but only for the first time I put a CD in, and
does the same thing when I eject it.
Any ideas how to prevent it from vanishing from the system?

That's a strange problem. How about go into Device Manager and uninstall
the DVD drive and then reboot? Have you tried any of the options when
you right-click the DVD drive?
Old March 21st 11, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Greg Forschler

On Mar 17, 12:47*am, smh wrote:
Greg Forschler wrote:

I have a new Lenovo Windows 7 desktop PC and every time I play a CD
and then eject it, the drive suddenly vanishes from device manager, so
if I put another CD in, it will not auto play, and the drive is not
listed under Computer, or device manager, or in File Explorer. If I
reboot it comes back, but only for the first time I put a CD in, and
does the same thing when I eject it.
Any ideas how to prevent it from vanishing from the system?

That's a strange problem. How about go into Device Manager and uninstall
the DVD drive and then reboot? Have you tried any of the options when
you right-click the DVD drive?

I have tried uninstalling and then rebooting to see if it found it. I
have to manually find it again, and then it works 1 time again, up
until it is ejected.
I don't know if it's a Win7 problem or a hardware problem. I've never
seen anything like this.
Old March 22nd 11, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Greg Forschler wrote:
smh wrote:
Greg Forschler wrote:

[...]

As mentioned, it's a strange problem. After uninstall, Win7 should find
the drive when reboot. Go into the BIOS and see if the drive is listed.
Offhand don't know what the BIOS settings should be, but look into it
anyway. As a last resort there's always trying with a known good working
drive and see if the problem persists with it. (Also squirt some canned
air to clean or dislodge any dirt that may cause the problem.)
Old March 22nd 11, 09:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

On 2011-03-21, Greg Forschler wrote:
On Mar 17, 12:47*am, smh wrote:
Greg Forschler wrote:

[...]

I do conjecture that doing `eject' reports some so massive a problem
to the OS, so the OS has nothing to do but shutdown the drive. Given
that good drives are about $20 now, would not it be more construtive
to do voodoo-repairing by checking a different drive?

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Old March 24th 11, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Tony[_3_]

I doubt that would help.

On 2011-03-21, Greg Forschler wrote:

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
the job for potty mouth,

I hate them both, With useless bogus bull**** you need at least *three*
fulltime jobs to afford either one of them

I'm a fulltime text *only* man on usenet now. The rest of the world downloads
the binary files not me i can't afford thousands of dollars a month

UBB = User based bullFROGGING

the realm of understandability

This sig file was compiled via my journeys through usenet

Old March 24th 11, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ilya Zakharevich

On 2011-03-24, Tony wrote:
I doubt that would help.

Who cares? The problem is either with drive, or adapter (probably on
mainboard), or with a driver. Driver may be eliminated with booting
from a Window Live CD/USB. Eliminating a mainboard is usually not a
solution (unless the user is ready to change a mainboard, or install
an extra adapter).

This lives elimination of a drive problem. See below.

Old March 24th 11, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Tony wrote:

This is long overdue. Just to let you know that I appreciate very much
your posts. Yours were instrumental in bringing about the beginning of
the end. Again, very much appreciate it. Sam
Old April 25th 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Tony[_3_]

What beginning of the end? I can keep on posting here.

smh wrote:

Tony wrote:

This is long overdue. Just to let you know that I appreciate very much
your posts. Yours were instrumental in bringing about the beginning of
the end. Again, very much appreciate it. Sam

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
day on the job for potty mouth,

I hate them both, With useless bogus bull**** you need at least *three*
fulltime jobs to afford either one of them

I'm a fulltime text *only* man on usenet now. The rest of the world
downloads the binary files not me i can't afford thousands of dollars a
month

UBB = User based bullFROGGING

beyond the realm of understandability

This sig file was compiled via my journeys through usenet