XP install not detecting SATA drive

Old August 9th 04, 10:12 AM
Matt

Default XP install not detecting SATA drive

I have been having trouble with XP not detecting my hard drive at
install.
The drive is a 120G Seagate Barracuda SATA, the M/B is Asus K8V (VIA
K8T800).
The drive is detected in BIOS, but XP will not detect it. I have tried
pressing F6 for the third party drivers install, but XP wants a
floppy, I have the CD and I do not have a floppy drive. What do I do
next?

Thank You

Matt
Old August 10th 04, 11:23 AM
Andy Lawson

Matt wrote:
OK、this morning I have;
flashed the bios, got hold of a floppy, copied files to the floppy,
pressed F6 at the appropriate moment, pressed S to use files on the
floppy, selected the appropriate file, and then just after the point
where I press enter to continue installing, it says I have no
HDD???????

Did you get the right file? Is the floppy setup correctly? From memory,
the .inf that gets read lists the location of the drivers to load - if
the files are in the wrong place on the floppy, I'm not sure you'll see
an error - I think the XP install will just keep on runnning.

I tried moving the SATA cable to the different locations in the
M/B just in case, but still no luck. Help!!!

The SATA BIOS on mine identifies the HDD model at POST - I get the
normal BIOS screens and then the screen clears shows the SATA stuff, and
looks for drives on both SATA channels, and lists any SATA drives it finds.

If you can see the SATA BIOS finding the drive you know it's plugged in
and powered correctly. If the SATA BIOS comes up without drives on
either channel, you know you've got a problem in the connection or drive
power somewhere.

Hope this helps!
Old August 11th 04, 03:01 AM
Matt

Andy Lawson wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:
OK、this morning I have;
flashed the bios, got hold of a floppy, copied files to the floppy,
pressed F6 at the appropriate moment, pressed S to use files on the
floppy, selected the appropriate file, and then just after the point
where I press enter to continue installing, it says I have no
HDD???????

Did you get the right file? Is the floppy setup correctly? From memory,
the .inf that gets read lists the location of the drivers to load - if
the files are in the wrong place on the floppy, I'm not sure you'll see
an error - I think the XP install will just keep on runnning.

The file windows looked for to install the RAID drivers was called
txtsetup.oem. I found this on the CD and in the same directory was a
folder called XP with the followinf files in it:
ptipbm.dll
UISata.cat
UISata.inf
uIsata.sys
vssver.scc
I copied the txtsetup file and the folder onto the floppy, in the same
structure that they use on the CD, the installer read the floppy ok
and had me choose from 4 sets of drivers, one for win2003, one for XP,
one for NT and one for 98. I chose the XP one, and the installer moves
on to where you need to press enter to continue, after which it says I
have no HDD, and cannot install.

I tried moving the SATA cable to the different locations in the
M/B just in case, but still no luck. Help!!!

The SATA BIOS on mine identifies the HDD model at POST - I get the
normal BIOS screens and then the screen clears shows the SATA stuff, and
looks for drives on both SATA channels, and lists any SATA drives it finds.

If you can see the SATA BIOS finding the drive you know it's plugged in
and powered correctly. If the SATA BIOS comes up without drives on
either channel, you know you've got a problem in the connection or drive
power somewhere.

Hope this helps!

The BIOS detects the drive no problem, even when I move the cable from
SATA 0 to SATA 1, so I am sure it is just a problem getting the
windows installer to discover the drive.

Matt
Old August 11th 04, 12:06 PM
Andy Lawson

Matt wrote:
I copied the txtsetup file and the folder onto the floppy, in the same
structure that they use on the CD,

I think this is what I did too.
Check the paths in TXTSETUP.OEM are still relevant.

The BIOS detects the drive no problem, even when I move the cable from
SATA 0 to SATA 1, so I am sure it is just a problem getting the
windows installer to discover the drive.

That's odd. Not a cabling problem, then. Is your SATA BIOS interactive
by any chance?

Are there any other SATA controller drivers available for download for
this MB from Asus?
Old August 12th 04, 12:40 PM
TimB

Matt wrote:
[...]

Just a rant that doesn't help....

I had similar problems. Knoppix detected the drive fine so it was
clearly a windows issue. Ended up giving up and sticking Fedora Core 2
on the box. Works a treat and recognises the SATA natively. It
disturbs me that in 2004 we still need to go back to a floppy drive
and vendor drivers for the worlds leading operating system to
recognise a standard (althought admittedly fairly new) piece of
hardware.

/relurks