Solaris + Clariion. Max LUNs.

Old April 14th 04, 02:33 PM
Schmuck

Default Solaris + Clariion. Max LUNs.

Gurus,

I have an EMC clariion CX600 hooked up to an SAN running Solaris 8 and
9 boxes. We are getting close to 256 LUNs, and noticed that the
/kernel/drv/sd.conf only defines LUNs 0-256

ie: last line:

name="sd" parent="lpfc" target=17 lun=255;

(There are 2 HBAs, 2 switches and 2 SPs, making 4 paths to each disk).

All disks are presented to all hosts with VxVM 3.5 controlling which
dg is presented where.

Given that the Clariion can make 1024 LUNs, is this a hard limit, in
Solaris, or can it be surmounted?

If not:
This is a "production" network for a software development company, so
we need the ability to move databases between boxes to simulate
different environments.... Solaris 8, 9... 2 proc server, 8 proc
server etc etc. Databases vary wildly in size, and we currently have
6TB cut up into LUNs of 13GB and 54GB in order to create any sized DB.

I am still learning how to drive the Clariion, and the low level stuff
I do using the Navisphere GUI. However, if somebody can let me know
what commands I need to consider to create snapview sessions and
snapshots, present and un-present LUNs to various boxes, and make
inquiries over what what is presented where, I'll go back to the
manuals and try and put this in some form that the operators can
handle. (I have over 2000 pages of CLI documentation. A few pointers
would really help!)

Thanks in advance

Matt
Old April 14th 04, 05:36 PM
Darren Dunham

In comp.unix.solaris Schmuck wrote:
Gurus,
I have an EMC clariion CX600 hooked up to an SAN running Solaris 8 and
9 boxes. We are getting close to 256 LUNs, and noticed that the
/kernel/drv/sd.conf only defines LUNs 0-256

ie: last line:

name="sd" parent="lpfc" target=17 lun=255;

256 luns per target, yes.

(There are 2 HBAs, 2 switches and 2 SPs, making 4 paths to each disk).

All disks are presented to all hosts with VxVM 3.5 controlling which
dg is presented where.

Given that the Clariion can make 1024 LUNs, is this a hard limit, in
Solaris, or can it be surmounted?

Can you have the Clariion produce the luns on a separate "target"? It
might need to be another FA or another WWN which the HBA driver would
map to a target.

--
Darren Dunham
Senior Technical Consultant TAOS