Well, I guess the spammers

Old April 10th 08, 03:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justbob30

Default Well, I guess the spammers

Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

Old April 10th 08, 03:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

Win & render another group unusable

It has become *very* annoying, but I'm not giving up on this group
just yet. Last night I built a fairly elaborate rule in Outlook
Express to get most of it, and it really helped quite a bit. This took
a lot of thinking, as I wanted to strike a balance between getting
most of the garbage and not deleting wanted posts that happen to
contain certain words in the subject.

So far it seems like the source is abuse of Google Groups. But I'm
just not willing to block GG postings for a multitude of reasons.
(Yes, I have news access outside of GG. It is, however, not the best.)

....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to
do this.

The reason they do it is not so much because it is successful, but
because it is very, very cheap to do this. I'm sure they get some

William
Old April 10th 08, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Don't assume that there is even junk to buy. The spammers could be scammers who
take your money and provide nothing in return. Great profit margins on that
sort of business. Their web site, in pidgin English with many HTML formatting
errors advertises every fake watch possible. Well, maybe not. No fake Timex.
Why would anyone trust a seller of avowedly fake goods? In the words of Barnum,
there's a sucker born every minute... Ben Myers

Old April 10th 08, 05:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:55:20 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

Don't assume that there is even junk to buy. The spammers could be scammers who
take your money and provide nothing in return. Great profit margins on that
sort of business. Their web site, in pidgin English with many HTML formatting
errors advertises every fake watch possible. Well, maybe not. No fake Timex.
Why would anyone trust a seller of avowedly fake goods? In the words of Barnum,
there's a sucker born every minute... Ben Myers

And/or at the same time, harvest emails to sell or spam your email
addresses too !!
Old April 10th 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:48:25 -0400, "Doug"
wrote:

"Justbob30" wrote in message
Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

Filter posts from Googlegroups and it's almost entirely eliminated. In fact
scrolling back to December of last year I don't see one in
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

NFilter is my choice.

http://www.nfilter.org/

Doug, this may be a trade off because if my memory is correct and feel
free to correct if I'm wrong (I used nfilter a long time ago), you
have to use a proxy to make it work with your newsreader and that
slows things down a bit. No argument about nfilter as it's been
around a long time and a proven filter and many like yourself swear by
it. I just want to make others aware that they may have to sacrifice
a bit of speed to use nfilter for spam filtering.
Old April 10th 08, 05:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

"Justbob30" wrote in message
Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

Filter posts from Googlegroups and it's almost entirely eliminated. In fact
scrolling back to December of last year I don't see one in
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell.

NFilter is my choice.

http://www.nfilter.org/

Doug, this may be a trade off because if my memory is correct and feel
free to correct if I'm wrong (I used nfilter a long time ago), you
have to use a proxy to make it work with your newsreader and that
slows things down a bit. No argument about nfilter as it's been
around a long time and a proven filter and many like yourself swear by
it. I just want to make others aware that they may have to sacrifice
a bit of speed to use nfilter for spam filtering.

Just to add to my post above, just in case I'm using the wrong
terminology regarding a "proxy", what I had in mind is I recall you
had to set your newreader to 127.0.0.1 or local host which slowed it
down a bit. Nfilter did work tho as instructed.
Old April 10th 08, 06:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Justbob30" wrote in message
Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

Message rules. "Poof".

These particular spammers aren't very creative (ie - sending multiple
messages from the same created address(es) on a given day, and using a
common word or words in the subject lines all of their spam posts).

Today is the first day in a couple of weeks I've opened the groups to no
SPAM messages.

Old April 10th 08, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:02:23 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"Justbob30" wrote in message
Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

Message rules. "Poof".

These particular spammers aren't very creative (ie - sending multiple
messages from the same created address(es) on a given day, and using a
common word or words in the subject lines all of their spam posts).

Today is the first day in a couple of weeks I've opened the groups to no
SPAM messages.

Stew, don't tell them that. I know exactly what you mean and I've
seen many that are nearly impossible to filter due to their uniqueness
but I'm not going to educate them how to spam past most filters. If I
did, I'd have to write better filters too and even then some would fly
by my filters .
Old April 11th 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

wrote:

Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

Whether they will stay is uncertain. This group has been fortunate
for so long that they haven't rendered it unusable, and the people
here are creative so there would still be options but won't go into
them unless it's necessary.
Old April 12th 08, 12:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
DaveJohnson12@nomail.

wrote:

Win & render another group unusable....I guess someone must buy this junk,
else it would not be worth their effort to do this.

I sent some emails to the google abuse department. If they cancel the
acounts, at least I can annoy the spammers a little. ;-) I'd complain
to their ISP but since it's coming from China it's probably a lost
cause. They do have an abuse department though.

inetnum: 218.19.0.0 - 218.20.255.255
netname: CHINANET-GD
descr: CHINANET guangdong province network
descr: China Telecom
descr: A12,Xin-Jie-Kou-Wai Street
descr: Beijing 100088
country: CN
admin-c: CH93-AP
tech-c: IC83-AP
mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET
mnt-lower: MAINT-CHINANET-GD
status: ALLOCATED NON-PORTABLE
changed:
20010703
changed:
20041207
source: APNIC

person: Chinanet Hostmaster
nic-hdl: CH93-AP
e-mail:

address: No.31 ,jingrong street,beijing
address: 100032
phone: +86-10-58501724
fax-no: +86-10-58501724
country: CN
changed:
20070416
mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET
source: APNIC

person: IPMASTER CHINANET-GD
nic-hdl: IC83-AP
e-mail:

address: NO.1,RO.DONGYUANHENG,YUEXIUNAN,GUANGZHOU
phone: +86-20-83877223
fax-no: +86-20-83877223
country: CN
changed:
20040902
mnt-by: MAINT-CHINANET-GD
remarks: IPMASTER is not for spam complaint,please send spam
complaint to

source: APNIC

NO SPAMMERS HERE! Josh Mathews Printers 0 September 6th 07 03:47 PM
survey spammers...(OT) nospam Printers 2 October 14th 06 06:22 AM
zebracomputers - spammers peter UK Computer Vendors 1 May 18th 06 07:35 AM
CrazyPC = spammers? Michael Brown Overclocking AMD Processors 0 January 20th 05 07:51 AM
I wish you Dam Spammers were really gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 LoBo Cdr 0 July 11th 03 12:58 PM