on button stuck down

Old June 3rd 04, 01:24 PM
ralgam

Default on button stuck down

Help, I have a 4-year old Gateway Select 750 which is fine for my
needs right now, but today I pushed the "on button" and the button
slipped downward just a little and is now lodged under the front cover
of the tower in the down position, although the computer did not come
on. I tried to pry it back up (I know...I shouldn't have done that,
but I was panicking!) and of course, this didn't help. Is there a way
to take off the front cover of the tower? I took off the side of the
tower and I couldn't figure out how to take off the front cover. Is
there another solution other than taking off the front cover? Is
there anyother board I should be asking this on?
Old June 3rd 04, 11:48 PM
Smith

I think you take the sides off and look towards the front, there should be 4
plastic things (two up top two on bottom) that you can push to in and to the
side and it will make the front bezel pop off. Er...sorry if the wording is
poor, been a bit since I took an old case off, hehe.

om...

Old June 4th 04, 02:53 AM
ralgam

I called Gateway, not really expecting to get free help because the
computer is so old, but they still had me on file, even though it's
out of warranty. Although I had a little trouble understanding the
tech guy's accent, he gave me free advice and on how to open the
tower, he waited while I did it, and even called me back when we got
disconnected. Then he e-mailed me a tech sheet to show me how to
replace the button and said he would send me a new button. I am SO
impressed. It's obviously time to get new computer, and I was leaning
towards a Dell, but if Gateway now provides this kind of support, I
may very well buy a Gateway.
Has anyone else had such good experiences with Gateway's tech support?
Old June 5th 04, 07:03 PM
Scott

ralgam,

At times, I've gotten incredible support from Gateway, although more often
years ago. Today the support can be as good as you've experienced to really
bad. It depends on the tech you talk to. We've used Gateway's in our family
for the last 10 years. Overall, I've been very satisfied with their tech support.
Virtually every problem has been solved to my satisfaction.

Scott

Old June 7th 04, 10:35 PM
Allan9

I am today still pleased with their tech support. IMHO far superior to
Dell (Only two brands I own)
Al

om...

Old June 8th 04, 02:19 PM
Smith

I've had pretty much good experiences. I think only once they couldn't help
me resolve and issue and that was back in the Windows 95 days on a Pentium
166 (I just reformatted the hd and it solved it . When I used my parts
warrenty to get stuff replaced on my newer model they never hassled me, just
helped troubleshoot and when nothing worked sent the parts. I've heard Dell
can be mean about part replacement. I've owned 7 Gateways, 6 of which are
still in use (the P1 133 was retired and parted out, but still working
perfect when it was). I have one Dell, man does it drive me crazy
sometimes. S'okay though, I use my knowledge gained from all my years of
great Gateway support to fix it, hehe.

"ralgam" wrote in message
om...
I called Gateway, not really expecting to get free help because the
computer is so old, but they still had me on file, even though it's
out of warranty. Although I had a little trouble understanding the
tech guy's accent, he gave me free advice and on how to open the
tower, he waited while I did it, and even called me back when we got
disconnected. Then he e-mailed me a tech sheet to show me how to
replace the button and said he would send me a new button. I am SO
impressed. It's obviously time to get new computer, and I was leaning
towards a Dell, but if Gateway now provides this kind of support, I
may very well buy a Gateway.
Has anyone else had such good experiences with Gateway's tech support?

A7N8X-E - Pressing power button - won't power off Alice Asus Motherboards 1 January 2nd 05 09:29 PM
DVD drives and "last/previous track" button? Makberto Cdr 2 June 8th 04 08:08 AM
Problem with Optiplex GX150 CD drive eject button Cerridwen General 1 February 16th 04 09:37 AM
Case Reset Button Woes rcm General 5 July 25th 03 06:02 PM
stuck Delta-V General 0 July 13th 03 06:46 PM