A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 Bios 1007 flashed. Memory Controller question.

Old June 6th 04, 03:56 AM
Don Reese

Default A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 Bios 1007 flashed. Memory Controller question.

I just flashed my A7N8X Deluxe v.2.0 to the 1007 bios (late, I know,
but didn't really feel I needed it updated until I ordered a SATA hard
drive to replace my current one). I used the Alt-F2 method and all
seemed to go well, except for the machine rebooting without any sort
of "Flash Complete" message. On reboot it showed the 1007 as current
bios version.

When WinXP (Home) loaded, it repeatedly showed the "Found New
Hardware" message for the Nforce2 memory controller, and for PCI
memory.

I check in the System Devices section of the Device Manager and it is
showing 5 Nvidia Nforce2 Memory Controller entries. I'm posting on the
machine right now, so all seems ok, but is this something I should
worry about, and if so, is there a fix for it?

I did a Go ogle search for multiple memory controllers winxp a7n8x but
it didn't help much, so I'm hoping there are those still out there
using this board who may be able to help me.

Thank you.

Don
--
Don Reese
Old June 6th 04, 04:16 AM
Rob

Don Reese wrote:

[...]

Using the current nVidia Unified Driver Package 2.42, I have 4 nForce2
controllers and 1 nForce Ultra 400 controller, with WinXP SP1. Same
board/BIOS. IIRC there were that many on previous drivers also, so you
should be OK if you haven't updated them yet.

Old June 6th 04, 04:13 PM
Ben Pope

Don Reese wrote:
I check in the System Devices section of the Device Manager and it is
showing 5 Nvidia Nforce2 Memory Controller entries. I'm posting on the
machine right now, so all seems ok, but is this something I should
worry about, and if so, is there a fix for it?

Same here.

I think it's correct (well I have 4 and 1 Ultra)

Ben

Old June 6th 04, 06:12 PM
Nero

Yep, four regulars and one ultra

Old June 7th 04, 01:48 AM
Don Reese

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:12:15 +0100, "Nero" wrote:

Yep, four regulars and one ultra

Thanks for all the answers. I figured it was a case of my not being
observant of my device manager information in the past.

I guess the reason I don't have the one Ultra is I'm using the ASUS
Nvidia driver version rather than the Nvidia set. I'd read about
people having problems just installing one over the other (mostly due
to the sound drivers I understand), so I didn't run that update.

However, if there's a fairly painless way to be running the latest
drivers without a completely clean install, I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all those who helped with this.

Don
--
Don Reese
Old June 7th 04, 04:51 AM
peter

When I first got the A7N8X DEL v2.0 I installed the ASUS Nvidia drivers.
Later I updated to the Nvidia set without uninstalling the ASUS ones and there
were no problems.
Since then I have "updated" about 4 times,some being remixes, and every time
things went smoothly.
I run a Radeon Video card so in some of the earlier driver versions I did remove
the Nvidia video drivers from the install and still had no problems.The latest
Nvidia drivers do not have their video drivers as part of the package any
more.As for sound drivers ...once the driver package is unzipped you can see all
of its components and install each one separately or all at the same time.If a
sound driver is causing problems you can "rollback" to the previous one.
peter

Old June 10th 04, 04:00 AM
Don Reese

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 03:51:04 GMT, "peter" wrote:

When I first got the A7N8X DEL v2.0 I installed the ASUS Nvidia drivers.
Later I updated to the Nvidia set without uninstalling the ASUS ones and there
were no problems.
Since then I have "updated" about 4 times,some being remixes, and every time
things went smoothly.
I run a Radeon Video card so in some of the earlier driver versions I did remove
the Nvidia video drivers from the install and still had no problems.The latest
Nvidia drivers do not have their video drivers as part of the package any
more.As for sound drivers ...once the driver package is unzipped you can see all
of its components and install each one separately or all at the same time.If a
sound driver is causing problems you can "rollback" to the previous one.
peter
"Don Reese" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:12:15 +0100, "Nero" wrote:

Yep, four regulars and one ultra

Thanks for all the answers. I figured it was a case of my not being
observant of my device manager information in the past.

I guess the reason I don't have the one Ultra is I'm using the ASUS
Nvidia driver version rather than the Nvidia set. I'd read about
people having problems just installing one over the other (mostly due
to the sound drivers I understand), so I didn't run that update.

However, if there's a fairly painless way to be running the latest
drivers without a completely clean install, I'm all ears.

Thanks again to all those who helped with this.

Thanks for the information, Peter. I may wind up just reinstalling
from scratch and using Nvidia drivers only.

Ever since the bios flash, my computer has spontaneously rebooted
while playing (in this case) Dark Age of Camelot. I never had this
problem with the prior bios (1003).

I haven't seen it happen while doing anything else, though, so I'm
thinking perhaps an uninstall and reinstall of the video drivers may
help. (One message after a reboot said the problem appears to be in
the ati-something.drv so I'm thinking it's worth a shot.) I have an
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro installed.

Also, I noticed my monitor (Samsung 191T) is listed twice in the
device manager. This may have been something that was there all along,
but in this case I doubt it. That would be something easily noticed as
I scanned the list every now and then. Should I delete one or both of
these entries? Both say they are working correctly.

In my post above I mentioned people having trouble with sound drivers.
I guess I should have said, I read they had problems with the control
panel and not being able to access it after installing Nvidia drivers
over the ASUS ones. If you've had no problems, I may yet give it a
try.

Thanks to all who have helped so far. I appreciate it.

Don

--
Don Reese
Old June 10th 04, 06:47 AM
Sam

Sometime on, or about Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:00:48 -0500, Don Reese
scribbled:

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 03:51:04 GMT, "peter" wrote:

When I first got the A7N8X DEL v2.0 I installed the ASUS Nvidia drivers.
Later I updated to the Nvidia set without uninstalling the ASUS ones and there
were no problems.
Since then I have "updated" about 4 times,some being remixes, and every time
things went smoothly.
I run a Radeon Video card so in some of the earlier driver versions I did remove
the Nvidia video drivers from the install and still had no problems.The latest
Nvidia drivers do not have their video drivers as part of the package any
more.As for sound drivers ...once the driver package is unzipped you can see all
of its components and install each one separately or all at the same time.If a
sound driver is causing problems you can "rollback" to the previous one.
peter
"Don Reese" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Although I have an older board (1.04), I also have the 5 memory
controller items using the 1007 BIOS. Nothing says Ultra though. I'm
using the latest nVidia platform drivers (version 4.24) and the
current ATI drivers (version 4.6) for my Radeon 9500. I'm using the
same monitor as you, but it only shows up once. However, the display
device shows up twice, but that's normal for this graphic card.

When I flash my BIOS, I always boot from a floppy with no drivers on
it, but with awdflash.exe and the BIOS file. I then flash the BIOS
using the command:
awdflash AN8D1007.BIN BIOS.OLD /py /sy /cd /cp /cc /LD /E

This wipes out the old settings, saves the current BIOS as "bios.old"
and then flashes the BIOS. You need to reboot and finally re-set all
your BIOS settings to the way you want it. I've never had a problem
doing it this way.

Sam

Old June 11th 04, 03:59 AM
Don Reese

snipped
[...]

Yes, once for primary and once for secondary.

When I flash my BIOS, I always boot from a floppy with no drivers on
it, but with awdflash.exe and the BIOS file. I then flash the BIOS
using the command:
awdflash AN8D1007.BIN BIOS.OLD /py /sy /cd /cp /cc /LD /E

This was the first time I tried the 'automatic' method. The process
itself didn't leave a very good taste in my mouth, what with no
message at the end that the flash was complete - just a reboot and a
couple beeps and the 1007 showing as the current bios on the boot
screen.

This wipes out the old settings, saves the current BIOS as "bios.old"
and then flashes the BIOS. You need to reboot and finally re-set all
your BIOS settings to the way you want it. I've never had a problem
doing it this way.

Sam

Thanks, Sam. I'll try reflashing the bios after whittling down my
monitor entries to one.

Here are the things I've done so far to try track down the cause of
the random rebooting since flashing 1007:

1.Uninstalled old Radeon Drivers and control panel.
2. Installed new drivers (newest at the time, 4.5) and control panel

Computer still crashed.

3. Unchecked the option in System Properties to automatically reboot
on error. Hopefully when it happens again I'll be able to see on the
BSOD what caused it.

4. Ran memtest86 for 19 hours. No errors on 38 passes.

I'm now about to go remove one of the monitor entries in the Device
Manager to see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll reflash the
bios using the method you mentioned.

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help with this. Your information
is very much appreciated.

Don
--
Don Reese
Old June 20th 04, 12:19 AM
Paul D. Motzenbecker, Jr.

Don,
Greetings and hallucinations from just north of Fantasy Land (Washington,
DC)!
What, pray tell, were you trying to fix? Flash a BIOS only to cure a
problem. Flashing to just have the lastest and greatest is courting the
bitch Goddess Disaster with red roses, Godivaź chocolates and a 10 karet
water white flawless diamond from Tiffany's. With that on offer she is sure
to pay you a call. You will find that she is a lousy date.
That being said, have you reinstalled the nVidia drivers for the board?
Sometimes they get confused when the BIOS is changed.
Peace,
Paul
snipped