Help: Two Sided Printing

Old September 23rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

Default Help: Two Sided Printing

I have a 200+ page document to print out and a Hewlett Packard 2100TN
printer.

I'd like to be able to print on both sides of each page without having
to take each page out of the printer, flip it over, put it back in,
and going through the printing process for wach page.

I know little about printer software and was hoping to get advice on
how to easily omit every other page so I can print out about 100 pages
and then flip the stack over and put them back into the printer to
print out on the blank side of each page.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Newshound

Default Two Sided Printing

"Searcher7" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 200+ page document to print out and a Hewlett Packard 2100TN
printer.

I'd like to be able to print on both sides of each page without having
to take each page out of the printer, flip it over, put it back in,
and going through the printing process for wach page.

I know little about printer software and was hoping to get advice on
how to easily omit every other page so I can print out about 100 pages
and then flip the stack over and put them back into the printer to
print out on the blank side of each page.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Acrobat will print odd or even pages of a PDF separately. In my experience
with several different non-duplex printers none of them would 100 printed
pages reliably, one page will double feed or crease and then you have a pile
of wasted paper and ink. I picked up a used "office" duty duplex printer
from eBay for this reason.

Old September 23rd 07, 09:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
MyVeryOwnSelf

I have a 200+ page document to print out and a Hewlett Packard 2100TN
printer.

I'd like to be able to print on both sides of each page without having
to take each page out of the printer, flip it over, put it back in,
and going through the printing process for wach page.

I know little about printer software and was hoping to get advice on
how to easily omit every other page so I can print out about 100 pages
and then flip the stack over and put them back into the printer to
print out on the blank side of each page.

You don’t mention what format the document is, but many applications have a
setting for “even only” and “odd only” pages.

If it’s a pdf file, for example, Adobe reader 6.0 has under
File Print
a choice of “Subset.”

If it’s a Word file, Word 2003 has under
File Print
a choice under “Print.”

I used to do this a lot when I had an HP LaserJet 5L. (I’m not familiar
with the 2100TN; hopefully its documentation doesn’t forbid double-siding.)

A word of caution, though. With a file that large, there’s a good chance of
a glitch somewhe a messed-up page, a dual-page feed, whatever. If
something goes wrong, you’ll end up replacing some pages. Still, I found it
worth the trouble.
Old September 23rd 07, 11:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

On Sep 23, 4:05 pm, "Newshound" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

from eBay for this reason.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I can have those problems witha single page print-out.

But if I have enough control over any specific page in a document I'd
of course stand there in case something went wrong, and stop/reprint/
continue where I'd have to.

I'm surprised no one has created an app for just this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old September 23rd 07, 11:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm surprised no one has created an app for just this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I'm surprised that nobody ever thinks to Google for simple solutions. Try
searching for "duplex printing software" and see what turns up.

Old September 24th 07, 12:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"MyVeryOwnSelf" wrote in message
[...]

My HP3005 printer driver software has the ability to print two or four pages
per sheet (on the same side of the paper, of course.) I've done two pages
per sheet for documentation for this printer as most pages are just a waste
of paper. Small print, but much better than printing over 200 pages of
which maybe 30 or 40 have any relevant info. I know I can easily access the
documentation on line or from the CD that came with the printer, but I
prefer to have a printed copy at hand for quick reference.

Old September 24th 07, 02:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob AZ

On Sep 23, 12:46?pm, Searcher7 Search into the printer to
print out on the blank side of each page.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

My HPIIID does this with ease. I have run over a 1000 pages at a time
with no problem. 500 sheets plus. HPIIIDs are cheap but the shipping
is a killer. Probably $50.00 or more. The HP software you have for
your 2100TN probably has provisions for odd and then even pages. If in
doubt about things do 10 sheets/pages at a time.

Bob AZ

Old September 24th 07, 03:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Searcher7

On Sep 23, 6:38 pm, "DanG" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm surprised no one has created an app for just this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I'm surprised that nobody ever thinks to Google for simple solutions. Try
searching for "duplex printing software" and see what turns up.

1) The first time I ever heard the word "duplex" as associated with
printers was in this thread.

2) Doesn't one need a "duplex" printer in order to take advantage of
"duplex" software?

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old September 24th 07, 04:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Silicon Sam

On Sep 23, 8:48 pm, Bob AZ wrote:
On Sep 23, 12:46?pm, Searcher7 Search into the printer to

print out on the blank side of each page.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

My HPIIID does this with ease. I have run over a 1000 pages at a time
with no problem. 500 sheets plus. HPIIIDs are cheap but the shipping
is a killer. Probably $50.00 or more. The HP software you have for
your 2100TN probably has provisions for odd and then even pages. If in
doubt about things do 10 sheets/pages at a time.

Bob AZ

Best bet for a good cheap duplex printer is a LaserJet 4000 with the
duplex option. Should be able to get one really cheap. The duplex
unit for the 4000 is around $25, on the other hand, the duplexer for
my 5000 is around $200 and up.

The 4000 - 4050 printers were real popular, and there's plenty of
them on the used market right now.

Raymond

Old September 24th 07, 10:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Searcher7 wrote:
On Sep 23, 6:38 pm, "DanG" wrote:
"Searcher7" wrote in message
I'm surprised no one has created an app for just this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I'm surprised that nobody ever thinks to Google for simple solutions. Try
searching for "duplex printing software" and see what turns up.

1) The first time I ever heard the word "duplex" as associated with
printers was in this thread.

2) Doesn't one need a "duplex" printer in order to take advantage of
"duplex" software?

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Darren
I don't know which application you are using but as an example - If you are
using Microsoft Word, Open the document, select File and Print, near the top
right should be a box labelled Manual Duplex. Tick the box, the printer should
print every second page, turn the pile over when prompted and put them back
into the printer. Try it with a small test document first. The user manual
should help and can be downloaded from HP's website.
You do not need a duplex printer to duplex "manually", only if you wish to
duplex automatically.

Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging