Epsom Printer Problem

Old September 12th 05, 10:32 PM
Tony Cooper

Default Epsom Printer Problem

Using an Epson Stylus C86 and a new computer with Windows XP Media
(Athlon 64, 2.39 GHz, 896 Mb Ram), I'm trying to print photos with
Adobe Photoshop 7 (.jpg) and photo collages (.cdr) in CorelDraw 9.

Sometimes they print, and sometimes (more often than not) about 20% of
the image prints and the printer kicks out the paper (glossy photo
stock).

I have printed both types countless times using my old CPU and this
same printer. It was never a problem until I bought the new CPU.

It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
the print que. The .cdr file is 26.8 mb and the .jpg is 156 kb. Both
sizes of images printed without a problem with this printer before
upgrading to the new CPU.

To make it more complicated, this is not a "never" situation. I just
printed an 8.5" x 10" .cdr collage that came out fine. Tried to print
a second copy, and 20% of the image printed. Same experience with a
4" x 6" .jpg.

The printing Options are set for the size of the paper ( 4x6 or 8.5 x
10), Glossy Photo Paper, and Photo.

I have the feeling that I've not done something to allocate memory,
but can't figure out where.

Going to Control PanelPrinters & FaxesEpsomC86Properties, I see
nothing to change.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old September 13th 05, 12:17 AM
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:51:18 -0400, Ed Ruf
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:32:22 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
wrote:

Using an Epson Stylus C86 and a new computer with Windows XP Media
(Athlon 64, 2.39 GHz, 896 Mb Ram), I'm trying to print photos with
Adobe Photoshop 7 (.jpg) and photo collages (.cdr) in CorelDraw 9.

Sometimes they print, and sometimes (more often than not) about 20% of
the image prints and the printer kicks out the paper (glossy photo
stock).

I have printed both types countless times using my old CPU and this
same printer. It was never a problem until I bought the new CPU.

It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
the print que. T

Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
all the files in your temp dir as well,

It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.

Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.

----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
http://EdwardGRuf.com

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old September 13th 05, 12:19 AM
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:04:37 -0400, Ed Ruf
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:51:18 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers Ed Ruf
wrote:

Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete

hard disk space

all the files in your temp dir as well,

How the spell checker did this is beyond me.

Check your spellchecker for racial bias.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old September 13th 05, 06:04 AM
RSD99

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message

It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.

Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Epson's printer driver makes some rather large temporary files in your
system's 'Temp' subdirectory.

It is often C:\Temp, but can easily be redefined (by the user) to be
virtually any other drive and/or subdirectory.

Old September 13th 05, 11:49 AM
Rob

Tony Cooper wrote:

It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
the print que. The .cdr file is 26.8 mb and the .jpg is 156 kb. Both
sizes of images printed without a problem with this printer before
upgrading to the new CPU.

To make it more complicated, this is not a "never" situation. I just
printed an 8.5" x 10" .cdr collage that came out fine. Tried to print
a second copy, and 20% of the image printed. Same experience with a
4" x 6" .jpg.

I had a similar problem with my old Epson printer and a new computer.(I
am making the assumption its a new CPU and mother board that you are
using) Are you using the parallel or USB?

My printer would print off to Mac but similar situation to yours off the
PC. Hence it was not a printer problem. Worked out to be the setting in
the BIOS should have been set to EPP.

rm
Old September 13th 05, 02:02 PM
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:55:52 -0400, Ed Ruf
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:17:38 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
wrote:

Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
all the files in your temp dir as well,

It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.

Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.

First, to be clear, these are two completely separate computers you are
talking about, correct?

Yes. I purchased a new CPU and connected the old peripherals like the
printer, scanner, monitor, etc.

What OS was the old one that works?

Windows XP on the old, Windows XP Media on the new.

How are you connecting the printer to each? Did you follow the directions for the
printer's install procedures or just connect and use add printer?

The printer is connected to LPT1 on this one, and the same on the old
one. My Epson C86 does not have a USB connection. The printer was
installed by plug-and-play, but there don't seem to be any specific
instructions for connecting the printer. The Epsom disk doesn't have
a printer install program; just a "Frame Factory" and some other
bundled programs. I did install what there was to install. I also
checked Epsom for current drivers.

I have an Iomega Zip Drive that the printer is connected to, which -
in turn - is connect to the port. I don't use the Zip anymore, but
I've kept it hooked up in case I need any of the files on the Zip
disks. The old system had the same configuration.

Many
Epson's have a procedure to install the software first and then connect the
printer to properly install the Epson USB port software.

Temp space used for installations and default application swap space
usually is found in:

There is a C:\Windows\Temp file that seems to be installation swap
space. This file is only 44.3 mb.

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Local Settings\Temp, where XXXXX is the
user's account.

That doesn't exist, but there is a C:\Temp file. Checking properties
on this file, it's a whopping 2.97 GB with five files. (2 hidden) The
largest is cdo.iso at 3,118,894 kb.

Which of these files would be the Temp file used by the printer?

I can't understand why the C:\Temp file would be so large in this new
computer. My old CPU (10 Gig HD) would not have been able to handle
such a large file.

Also, be sure you defrag your new drive. Even a brand new install will be
horribly fragmented. The print spoolers like contiguous space.

Haven't done that, but will tonight.

Let me reiterate that the configuration is exactly the same with the
new CPU as it was with the old CPU. I bought a new CPU because the
old one had a small hard drive, no Firewire connections, only two USB
ports, and something wonky about it that didn't allow me to add
USB/Firewire cards.

I also want to reiterate that the printer prints, and sometimes prints
the .jpgs and .cdr files without a problem. Most of the time it
doesn't, though. I'm wasting a lot of Epson photo paper finding this
out.

Just for the record, I use Photoshop 7, CoreDraw9, a camcorder movie
program, and QuickBooks primarily. No games. On the net, it's just
newsgroups and online banking. I also have a USB external hard drive
in the system.

Probably too much information, but most questions I see contain too
little.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old September 13th 05, 02:51 PM
Bob Headrick

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
I have an Iomega Zip Drive that the printer is connected to, which -
in turn - is connect to the port. I don't use the Zip anymore, but
I've kept it hooked up in case I need any of the files on the Zip
disks. The old system had the same configuration.

This would be my guess as to the problem. I have seen Zip drives interfere
with printing, especially graphics if the sequence happens to match what the
zip drive interprets as "its" data. Try removing the Zip drive and any
associated drivers.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging