mbr for 40G harddrive?

Old May 14th 05, 04:45 PM
Bob

On Sat, 14 May 2005 08:04:28 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
wrote:

Bob is a troll. He did not read your message. He doesn't have a clue.

Another ad-hom.

You are the troll.

Old May 14th 05, 04:57 PM
Bob

On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:32:57 +0300, Zvi Netiv
wrote:

I say "appears" because I do not know what really happens.

That's obvious.

Are you trying to be obnoxious or does it just come naturally for you?

Old May 14th 05, 11:17 PM
Eric Gisin

The consensus is building - you are the troll.

Be nice or get lost. We don't like trolls.

Old May 15th 05, 03:22 AM
Bob

On Sun, 15 May 2005 05:23:14 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Top-posting also reflects badly on the poster by conveying an egocentric
message to the readers that he doesn't give a damn about them.

Gets sillier by the minute.

Top posting does in fact allow someone browsing the thread to
see the latest material without having to scroll thru the message
to find the latest material, with the context preserved so that its
easier to find if the news server doesnt get all the posts in a thread.

You can achieve the same by snipping out dead material.

Old May 15th 05, 03:25 AM
Bob

On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:17:49 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
wrote:

The consensus is building - you are the troll.

There is no such consensus.

The only consensus is that you are the troll around here.

Be nice or get lost.

If you don't like my posts, call 1-800-EAT-****.

We don't like trolls.

Who the **** are you? A leftist queer asshole.

Old May 15th 05, 05:17 AM
Rod Speed

No thanks, I prefer to retain the context for those who read
posts on less than reliable news servers and using groups.google.

The latest incarnation of groups.google handles the
quoted text very elegantly indeed, no need to snip it.

Old May 15th 05, 08:16 AM
*selah*

Where did you get your training in etiquette? The Attila Hun School?

The animosity in this newsgoup!

I tried using the resq program. I am now getting the messages "invalid
system disk?" and "disk i/o error?" (with the question marks), when trying
to boot. Fdisk is saying "unknown" under the heading "system". Resq is
saying: boot-yes; type-12.

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"*selah*" wrote:

I had a problem with a trojan on a maxtor 40G drive. . After supposedly
getting rid of it with avg I wasn't able to use winword 97. I wiped out

the
old mbr (and, I think, the partition table) and replaced it with the

mbr,
etc. of a 2.5G win98 drive.

Ignorance isn't a sin, but combined with hyper activity makes it harmful,

as you
just learned. Not really surprising, for a top-poster !

Where from did you take the idea of replacing the MBR of your hard drive

to fix
a Winword problem? This isn't just nonsense - it's sheer stupidity!

Now fdisk is only finding 2.5G on the 40G drive
(and only some of the files are available, plus, it won't boot.)

That's really bad! For you data sake, hope that replacing the MBR was the

only
stupidity conducted on the drive. Being able to see some of the files

with the
wrong MBR may indicate that you also overwrote part of the FAT and root
directory. If this is the case, then the chances to recover your data are
smaller.

Follow instructions how to recover the drive and data, if still possible:

Get RESQ from www.resq.co.il/resq.php and prepare a RESQ boot disk as

explained
in the ResQ program welcome message.

Set the drive type to "auto" in the setup (modern BIOSes will show the

drive's
model instead).

Boot of the RESQ floppy just made. When at the A: prompt, run RESQDISK

/KILL of
the floppy. This will reset the partition table to zero, then reboot,

with the
RESQ floppy in the drive. Rebooting after zeroing the partition table is

MUST, to let the BIOS re detect the drive, with the correct settings.

When at the A: prompt, run RESQDISK /FAT32 /REBUILD The program will

offer to
write a new MBR when finished with the search. Accept, then reboot, this

time
without the floppy in the drive. Windows should start normally if you

haven't
done more nonsense that you didn't tell us about.

Regards, Zvi

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"*selah*" wrote:

Is there anywhere to get an mbr for a 40G hard drive using win98?

(besides
getting another one and setting it up).

Please state the purpose you need that MBR for. If to recover a drive

that lost
its partition table or self boot ability, then the answer is yes,

there is.
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

Old May 15th 05, 09:56 AM
Zvi Netiv

"*selah*" wrote:

I tried using the resq program. I am now getting the messages "invalid
system disk?" and "disk i/o error?" (with the question marks), when trying
to boot. Fdisk is saying "unknown" under the heading "system". Resq is
saying: boot-yes; type-12.

If you adhered to instructions, instead of improvising, then you would have your
drive back by now - if still recoverable.

You'll excuse me if I don't waste my time on your problem anymore.

Regards, Zvi
Old May 16th 05, 07:39 AM
*selah*

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"*selah*" wrote:

If you adhered to instructions, instead of improvising, then you would

have your
drive back by now - if still recoverable.

You'll excuse me if I don't waste my time on your problem anymore.

I don't agree that you wasted your time. And I appreciate the help - the
resq program seems useful. I would have appreciated it more if the abusive
talk didn't come along with it.

I should add that fdisk is now reporting 34G on the drive (instead of 2.5).