Backing up Samba

Old September 22nd 03, 07:57 PM
Uwe Weber

Default Backing up Samba

Hi all!

We will have to backup a couple of file servers,
located in remote offices. These servers run linux
and serve files to XP Clients using samba.

I am planning to do this with a NetApp NearStore R150
and their SnapVault software. The network from remote
to central offices is weak and their incremental
snapshot feature looks promising.

As an added benefit, I am thinking of sharing out
the backups on the r150 via CIFS, so that a client
can mount the backup directly if it's dedicated samba
server crashes.

Is this possible? If yes, what about share names,
permissions,user and group info and acls?

I think, that since Snapvault is backing up from an
Linux filessystem, we will have only UNIX style file
metadata on the R150. Normally, I would get the CIFS
info from an PDC or an AD-server. if we rebuild this
infrastructure with open ldap and kerberos (we might
have to this anyhow), could the r150 use it?
Has somebody done something like this before?

Thanks and regards,
uwe

Old September 25th 03, 06:17 PM
luantx

Uwe,
Have you tried to take a look on using the innovative and award
winning VPSN product? More info is at:
http://www.webofficenow.com/solutions-backup.html
This is an alternative solution for you that is cost effective and
simple.

Regards,
Luan