RAID-5 array failure rate in HDS-99xx

Old September 21st 03, 11:15 PM
MAK

Default RAID-5 array failure rate in HDS-99xx

Hi folks,

I would like to request you all to share your experience with Hitachi
Data system's HDS-99xx storage.

Has anyone ever experienced the RAID-5 array failure in HDS-99xx? If
so can your provide the details what's caused it? how long it took to
fix it?

Apart from RAID-5 failure , what other failures have you experienced?

I know this is the state of art storage systems built with lots of
redudant parts but still would like to assess the risk of these
failure.

Thanks
Old September 23rd 03, 05:46 PM
Faeandar

I'm curious, you speak of "the" raid 5 failure. Is there some know
issue with HDS and raid 5?

We have a 9960, 4 9500's, and 2 9200's with 2 9980's on their way. To
date we've had only one disruption in the 9500 due to code upgrade,
not a failure but a planned reboot. Not enterprise class for sure but
it's enterprise class cost either. No issues on the 9960.

~F

Old September 27th 03, 12:22 PM
Mark

I've dealt with HP XP512's (rebranded HDS 9900's) and the only problems we
ever saw were drive failures .. the firmware we had running was a bit
draconian in that if it so much as thought a disk smelt funny it declared it
dead ... gave the HP engineers lots of exercise when they had to trek to the
data centres :-) We never even noticed the drives failing, first thing we
knew about it was when the engineer knocked on the door (they dial home to
HP).

I think a light board had a fault once as well but don't believe it effected
any of the attached servers.

Regards

Mark

om...