san - shared tapedrives problem

Old September 17th 03, 02:13 PM
Wouter Goderis

Default san - shared tapedrives problem

We have an ATL library with 5 drives spread over 3 bridges.

When we reboot the servers attached to the san, we sometimes loose one
or more tapedrives (not all drives are detected on all servers)

A simple rescan on windows solves this problem ....
but checking if the tapedrives are detected or not after each server
reboot is of course a bit crazy..

environment :

windows 2000 servers
qlogic hba's with persistent binding
brocade switces 38xx
ATL library with ATO bridges

Anyone who has seen this kind of behaviour before , any hints on where
the problem could be situated (hardware , software ?) ?

Kind Regards,

Wouter
Old September 24th 03, 11:56 AM

Hi,

just a guess, most of these problems reside in SCSI/FC Bridges,
you've said that the drives are shared, so there might be other
requests from other systems to the mapped tape drives.
If that happens tapes usually respond busy signals to the
second request and that can cause in lost devices ...

good luck,

Rene

Wouter Goderis wrote in message . ..
We have an ATL library with 5 drives spread over 3 bridges.

When we reboot the servers attached to the san, we sometimes loose one
or more tapedrives (not all drives are detected on all servers)

A simple rescan on windows solves this problem ....
but checking if the tapedrives are detected or not after each server
reboot is of course a bit crazy..

environment :

windows 2000 servers
qlogic hba's with persistent binding
brocade switces 38xx
ATL library with ATO bridges

Anyone who has seen this kind of behaviour before , any hints on where
the problem could be situated (hardware , software ?) ?

Kind Regards,

Wouter

Ram: more vs. speed? MustKillMoe-Wheee! Homebuilt PC's 36 November 9th 04 10:32 AM
ATI Radeon 8500 problem (or the ViewSonice A90f+ monitor problem)?? T.T. Ati Videocards 0 October 9th 04 07:19 PM
Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
not the same old B&W problem (I don't think) Brian Lee Ati Videocards 0 July 9th 04 01:15 AM
Really WEIRD problem! TMack Ati Videocards 4 April 12th 04 04:30 AM