Repost: Looking for GXa BIOS A07

Old June 3rd 04, 02:18 AM
mdp

Default Repost: Looking for GXa BIOS A07

Anyone know where I can get/download BIOS A07 for the GXa? Dell no longer
has it on their site.

Old June 7th 04, 04:02 AM
Fred Flintstone

So what's wrong with A10?

It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....

Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?

link.net...

Old June 7th 04, 04:20 AM
mdp

Versions above A07 will not allow upgrades using Slockets (Slot 1 to Socket
370 adapter). Same is true for the GX1.

"Fred Flintstone" wrote in message
m...
So what's wrong with A10?

It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....

Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?

link.net...

Old June 8th 04, 05:29 AM
Fred Flintstone

Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent amateur
upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much higher
current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would overheat
and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would be
unreliable)).

ink.net...

Old June 8th 04, 11:17 AM
Peter Felgate

"Fred Flintstone" wrote in message m...
Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent amateur
upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much higher
current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would overheat
and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would be
unreliable)).

"mdp" wrote in message
ink.net...
Versions above A07 will not allow upgrades using Slockets (Slot 1 to

Socket
370 adapter). Same is true for the GX1.

"Fred Flintstone" wrote in

message
m...
So what's wrong with A10?

It IS fully backwards compatible with the board in your GXa....

Did DELL breaks omething in A08, A09, and A10 that worked in A07?

Whilst it is true that on the GX1 bioses above A07 won't work with
faster processors, I think you will find that on the GXas you are OK
up to A09, which should be readily available.
Old June 9th 04, 03:56 AM
mdp

I did not realize that about the VRs. I have two kinds of slockets, one
does not have VR. Thanks,
Mark

"Fred Flintstone" wrote in message
Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent

amateur
upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much

higher
current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would

overheat
and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would be
unreliable)).

ink.net...

Old June 9th 04, 03:56 AM
mdp

I will have to try that. Thanks,
Mark

"Peter Felgate" wrote in message
om...
"Fred Flintstone" wrote in

message m...
Yup, that is true.....Apparently, Dell's engineers could not prevent

amateur
upgraders (ones without things like slockets with their own power
regulators) from destroying the VR's (Voltage Regulators) on the system
board, since most of the faster CPU's require lower voltage, but much

higher
current (which the on-board VR wasn't designed to do, so they would

overheat
and kill themselves (or create such crummy power that the system would

be
unreliable)).

ink.net...