Strange "status bar" briefly appears before Windows splash screen after SP2 install

Old September 23rd 04, 07:11 PM
dave g

Default Strange "status bar" briefly appears before Windows splash screen after SP2 install

Hi Groups...

I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just installed
SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.

Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
starts up...

The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
right? Apologies for this poor description.

It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts

Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old September 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
Joshua

Assume its just the kernel loading, can happen on slow machines i think but
usually doesn't even show on modern systems. It's nothing abnormal though.

Old September 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
Phil

"dave g" wrote in message
Hi Groups...

I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just
installed
SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.

Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
starts up...

The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
right? Apologies for this poor description.

It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts

Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be used to
this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's just part of
the loading process.

Old September 23rd 04, 07:26 PM
dave g

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be
used to this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's
just part of the loading process.

Thanks for the speedy response

Oddly... it doesn't happen if I enter the bios... then exit without making
changes...?

Are you aware of a fix to get rid of it... my son's significantly slower,
budget machine manages to boot smoothly with SP2

Regards

Dave G

Old September 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
dave g

Joshua wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

Assume its just the kernel loading, can happen on slow machines i
think but usually doesn't even show on modern systems. It's nothing
abnormal though.

I know my machine is not absolute cutting edge but I hope it's not "slow"
already lol.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, 3Ghz Athlon XP, 1Gb PC3200, GeForce 5900, ATA133 HDD's

Maybe I'd better start upgrading ;-)
Old September 23rd 04, 08:05 PM
Phil

"dave g" wrote in message
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

I have that as well now (after SP2). Users of Windows 2000 should be
used to this. Also people with slow PCs. Nothing to worry about, it's
just part of the loading process.

Thanks for the speedy response

Oddly... it doesn't happen if I enter the bios... then exit without making
changes...?

Are you aware of a fix to get rid of it... my son's significantly slower,
budget machine manages to boot smoothly with SP2

Regards

Dave G

I shouldn't imagine it would add too much time to loading, mine is there for
all of 0.75 seconds. Have you defragged recently? I think the bar on mine
(3000+ Ath XP) takes longer when my HDD is a bit fragmented (Hitachi
Deskstar 80GB)

Old September 23rd 04, 08:15 PM
dave g

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what
Phil wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

I shouldn't imagine it would add too much time to loading, mine is
there for all of 0.75 seconds. Have you defragged recently? I think
the bar on mine (3000+ Ath XP) takes longer when my HDD is a bit
fragmented (Hitachi Deskstar 80GB)

Cue spooky music...

My computer no longer displays the symptoms I originally described... seems
to have sorted itself out???

Thanks for the suggestions anyway

Dave G
Old September 23rd 04, 10:01 PM
Ken Oaf

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:11:20 -0500, dave g wrote:

Hi Groups...

I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation for this... I've just installed
SP2 on Win XP Home Edition.

Now when I boot I get a brief black and white status bar that shows up for
a second at the bottom of the screen before the Windows Splash Screen
starts up...

The best way I can describe this is a monochrome file loading progress bar
that starts off black and white stripes and appears to load from left to
right? Apologies for this poor description.

It wasn't there before SP2... any thoughts

Asus A7N8X-E, Athlon XP 3Gh

This has always happened with my P4 2.8 system on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

Old September 24th 04, 08:12 AM
dave g

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to see what Bob
Cronin wrote in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus and:

Might it have said "Resuming Windows"? Perhaps you had hibernated rather
than shutdown the previous session ...

Nope... It was a kind of "loading" status bar filling up from the left hand
side. It happened during the first 4 or 5 times I started up after
installing SP2... I used normal shut down procedures.

However... it now appears to have stopped doing it?

Regards

Dave G