I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, putit back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt theprinter. Is this true?

Old May 25th 08, 04:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Enda80

Default I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, putit back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt theprinter. Is this true?

Old May 25th 08, 05:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank Arthur

"Enda80" wrote in message
I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt
the
printer. Is this true?

I did it once and the printer was so hurt it bawled like a baby for 15
minutes!

Old May 25th 08, 06:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:34:43 UTC, "Jerry" wrote:

"Enda80" wrote in message
I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
printer. Is this true?

Not if you turn it around and print on the other side.

There's a tiny element of truth here. If you print on a laser printer,
then use the same paper again, its moisture content has sometimes
reduced to the point where it jams. And some jams are always bad!

Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old May 25th 08, 06:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Paul Heslop

Frank Arthur wrote:

"Enda80" wrote in message
I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt
the
printer. Is this true?

I did it once and the printer was so hurt it bawled like a baby for 15
minutes!

I was going to do one of those but couldn't be arsed :O)
--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old May 25th 08, 08:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
-HNN-

Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.

I do that all the time with no real problems. If you don't do that when you
only need one or two address labels, it will cost you a small fortune in
wasted label sheets, which can be VERY expensive, especially for the "clear"
label sheets.

The trick is to print the bottom rows first, even only 1 label sometimes.
The top of the label sheet will then stay rigid enough to accurately pull
into your printer, provided you don't otherwise bend or mangle the label
sheet between uses.

Harry

Old May 25th 08, 08:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Enda80 wrote:
I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put
it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the
printer. Is this true?

Someone has mentioned labels. The issue with labels is if you reprint on a
partially used label sheet using a laser printer, the glue on the labels gets
heated a second time and some label stock does not survive that well resulting
in labels coming off in the printer and sticking to rollers (usually an
expensive fuser). The question of paper drying out and sometimes curling when
printed on a laser printer is also real.
Generally reprinting on an inkjet is fine but on laser printers is not the best
practice.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 25th 08, 08:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:37:01 UTC, "Stryker" wrote:

There's a tiny element of truth here. If you print on a laser printer,
then use the same paper again, its moisture content has sometimes
reduced to the point where it jams. And some jams are always bad!

Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.

Thats why all my printers are duplex printers... lasers and inkjets...
No need to put the paper back through the printer...

Um...with most of the duplex printers I've seen, the paper DOES go
through twice...

Old May 25th 08, 09:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Sun, 25 May 2008 19:27:08 UTC, "-HNN-"
wrote:

Also, reprinting partial sheets of labels is a big no-no.

I do that all the time with no real problems. If you don't do that when you
only need one or two address labels, it will cost you a small fortune in
wasted label sheets, which can be VERY expensive, especially for the "clear"
label sheets.

The trick is to print the bottom rows first, even only 1 label sometimes.
The top of the label sheet will then stay rigid enough to accurately pull
into your printer, provided you don't otherwise bend or mangle the label
sheet between uses.

As noted by Tony, it's dangerous with laser printers (probably more with
older ones, which seem to run hotter). And I guess I was really thinking
of that....

Old May 26th 08, 09:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:47:38 UTC, "Stryker" wrote:

Thats why all my printers are duplex printers... lasers and inkjets...
No need to put the paper back through the printer...

Um...with most of the duplex printers I've seen, the paper DOES go
through twice...

yes, but it doesn't go through the entire feeding process from tray to
exit.... a lot of times the paper wont feed properly when you attempt to run
them through again.... but newer lasers do not have this problem....
except for labels... I wouldnt trust running labels through a laser twice.

Agreed. However, they usually go through the fuser twice...which is the
hot bit! On my LJ4+, the paper goes from the input tray, drum,
fuser...then into the duplexer holding area which is BELOW the input
tray. Then it feeds up as if it had come from the input tray, drum,
fuser....exit. That last bit of the paper path is quite curved and
happens only once.

Old May 27th 08, 12:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
AnthonyL

On Sun, 25 May 2008 14:44:29 -0500, Tony
wrote:

Someone has mentioned labels. The issue with labels is if you reprint on a
partially used label sheet using a laser printer, the glue on the labels gets
heated a second time and some label stock does not survive that well resulting
in labels coming off in the printer and sticking to rollers (usually an
expensive fuser). The question of paper drying out and sometimes curling when
printed on a laser printer is also real.
Generally reprinting on an inkjet is fine but on laser printers is not the best
practice.

I have printed individual labels from a 6x3 sheet for many years first
on a HP Laserjet III and now on a 5L. Not one problem that I can
recall.

Maybe just lucky with the label stock I use.

--
AnthonyL