Moving music from desktop to another room

Old January 19th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Moving music from desktop to another room

I will soon have a desktop machine in one room with a nice sound card that's
got preamp in & out connections. The stereo system's in another room. Other
than running preamp-level wires, what are some other ways of sending music
from the computer to the stereo, or vice versa? It's an old stereo, not one
of the network-ready units I'm seeing these days.

Old January 19th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Same situation here. This is what I did. I bought a 75 foot audio cable with
rca plugs on one end with a male micro connector on the other end. The rca
plugs go into my Auxillary on the stereo, and the male micor end goes into
the line out on the computer. I then play internet radio through my stereo
speakers.

Now if you are wanting to go from the stereo to the computer, though I
cannot imagine why, I don't have a clue how you will do that with an older
radio that has does not have line out on the back. Is it possible that where
you plug in your speakers you could just run an audio cable from there into
your line in on the comp? I don't know, maybe. It almost sounds like you
have xm radio and you want to record it to your computer. If so, you will
also need special software like CoolEditPro, which is owned by Adobe now and
has had a name change.

Old January 19th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Obie San San" wrote in message
Same situation here. This is what I did. I bought a 75 foot audio cable
with rca plugs on one end with a male micro connector on the other end.
The rca plugs go into my Auxillary on the stereo, and the male micor end
goes into the line out on the computer. I then play internet radio through
my stereo speakers.

Now if you are wanting to go from the stereo to the computer, though I
cannot imagine why, I don't have a clue how you will do that with an older
radio that has does not have line out on the back. Is it possible that
where you plug in your speakers you could just run an audio cable from
there into your line in on the comp? I don't know, maybe. It almost sounds
like you have xm radio and you want to record it to your computer. If so,
you will also need special software like CoolEditPro, which is owned by
Adobe now and has had a name change.

The stereo is a Hafler preamp, so it's got line level outputs with RCA
plugs. The purpose would be to begin putting vinyl albums into digital
format, in case of fire or theft. I'll store copies off-site.

Old January 19th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

The stereo is a Hafler preamp, so it's got line level outputs with RCA
plugs. The purpose would be to begin putting vinyl albums into digital
format, in case of fire or theft. I'll store copies off-site.

Ah - didn't get that before.

A simple two-RCA to one-mini plug adapter, and however long the cable to the
computer. I did the same thing (but the deck was right there) with
cassettes...

And, of course, if you know Drew Kaplan you know that there are very good
pop and hiss assassins out there. Otherwise it's just good software to make
Dolby look amateurish...

L8R

Skip

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.

Stamp out Sesquipedalianism

Old January 19th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at gmail dotcom wrote in message
The stereo is a Hafler preamp, so it's got line level outputs with RCA
plugs. The purpose would be to begin putting vinyl albums into digital
format, in case of fire or theft. I'll store copies off-site.

Ah - didn't get that before.

A simple two-RCA to one-mini plug adapter, and however long the cable to
the computer. I did the same thing (but the deck was right there) with
cassettes...

And, of course, if you know Drew Kaplan you know that there are very good
pop and hiss assassins out there. Otherwise it's just good software to
make Dolby look amateurish...

L8R

Skip

Hiss and pop??? There are a number of people from my past who are missing
their hands from the wrists down because they didn't handle the records
carefully. There may be one or two that are noisy.... :-)

Old January 20th 06, 12:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:34:12 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

The stereo is a Hafler preamp, so it's got line level outputs with RCA
plugs. The purpose would be to begin putting vinyl albums into digital
format, in case of fire or theft. I'll store copies off-site.

For this purpose I advise not trying to take the signal any
distance at all, make your recordings with the record player
and preamp sitting right next to the computer.... would be a
shame to digitally immortalize a poor signal from a long
cable, plus it's bound to be more convenient to have control
of the computer and record player simultaneously without
running back and forth.

Old January 20th 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Skip Gundlach wrote:
The stereo is a Hafler preamp, so it's got line level outputs with RCA
plugs. The purpose would be to begin putting vinyl albums into digital
format, in case of fire or theft. I'll store copies off-site.

Ah - didn't get that before.

A simple two-RCA to one-mini plug adapter, and however long the cable to the
computer. I did the same thing (but the deck was right there) with
cassettes...

And, of course, if you know Drew Kaplan you know that there are very good
pop and hiss assassins out there. Otherwise it's just good software to make
Dolby look amateurish...

L8R

Skip

Also you might run your stereo and computer from the
same mains outlet. (assuming a good quality ground pin).
Old January 20th 06, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"kony" wrote in message
For this purpose I advise not trying to take the signal any
distance at all, make your recordings with the record player
and preamp sitting right next to the computer.... would be a
shame to digitally immortalize a poor signal from a long
cable, plus it's bound to be more convenient to have control
of the computer and record player simultaneously without
running back and forth.

Exactly what I was thinking. Also, aren't there a whole range of devices
that will take sound and video from a PC to a stereo via wireless? :-)

Old January 20th 06, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
Skip Gundlach wrote:
The stereo is a Hafler preamp, so it's got line level outputs with RCA
plugs. The purpose would be to begin putting vinyl albums into digital
format, in case of fire or theft. I'll store copies off-site.

Ah - didn't get that before.

A simple two-RCA to one-mini plug adapter, and however long the cable to
the computer. I did the same thing (but the deck was right there) with
cassettes...

And, of course, if you know Drew Kaplan you know that there are very good
pop and hiss assassins out there. Otherwise it's just good software to
make Dolby look amateurish...

L8R

Skip

Also you might run your stereo and computer from the
same mains outlet. (assuming a good quality ground pin).

Actually, they're on the same circuit. But, I *could* run an extension cord
and run them from the exact same outlet. This activity will only happen for
3-4 hours a week.