Heeelp Plse !!? Error "windows cannot find file $Mft." (Packard Bell 3500 Store & Save )

Old January 3rd 09, 03:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
William R. Walsh

Default Heeelp Plse !!? Error "windows cannot find file $Mft." (Packard Bell 3500 Store & Save )

Hi!

Good to see that you "get out" occasionally, and are not *chained* to
the IBM PS/2 NG. :-)

You'll find me in a few places around Usenet. I thrive on it, and
CSIPH...well, it's still great, but it ain't what it used to be. Not as
active. Fewer people are keeping the faith going.

Interesting take on Mr. Blues problem. I discounted a hardware problem,
because when plugged in to other computers they "see" the files on the
drive.

USB, Firewire and USB/Firewire combination bridge chips are at least
somewhat evil. Use enough of them and you'll see what I'm getting at. Take
the Prolific PL-3507 as one example, a combination Firewire 400 and USB 2.0
bridge. On a PC running Windows, the Firewire connectivity doesn't work at
all, and it's widely reported that this is a problem. The USB works
perfectly. Conversely, on a Macintosh, the Firewire functionality works
great and the USB is unstable beyond belief.

I have some enclosures where the PL-3507 works all around and others where
it doesn't. The enclosures where it doesn't work also have a PATA to SATA
bridge to allow the connection of SATA devices. If you connect a SATA
device, something changes to "fix" the problem.

I got the datasheet and took a look. Everyone seems to have followed the
suggested implementation. I can find no problems with what has been done.
The microcode is the same on all the enclosures. The IC revisions are the
same.

Beats me. It's not the only bridge chipset I've had problems with.

So I think it's especially prudent to see how the drive behaves when it is
connected *directly* to a known working computer.

William

Old January 3rd 09, 11:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi William !

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message

snip

So I think it's especially prudent to see how the drive behaves when it is
connected *directly* to a known working computer.

William

Agreed. It's a simple matter to get the drive out and attach it to a known
working computer, and eliminate the variables you ( and others ) describe.

We'll see if the OP ever gets back to us.

bob