Toshiba Satellite A85 S1072 Driver Problem

Old November 20th 13, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Toshiba Satellite A85 S1072 Driver Problem

Paul -

Can you come up with a URL that works to get the driver download for

Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter FOR XP?

I think it may fix my situation - worth a test anyway.

I can't - Al I get are multiple bad-driver-scan apps.

Thanks

Big Fred
Old November 20th 13, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 07:21:22 -0500, Paul wrote:

Check in the BIOS, and see if there is a setting for it.
Like, to turn it on and off.

All I see in the BIOS related to a LAN is

build-in LAN which is enabled

Look with msinfo32.exe for Problem Devices. See
if some VEN/DEV device is in there.

For 'problem devices' it has Ethernet controller
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_7094144F&REV_01\4&253 A0906&0&10A4
the drivers for this device are not installed

Suggest anything to you?
Thanks
Big Fred

Some of those Wifi things, have more than one
chip on them, and are "combo" devices. And that
could be the Other Devices thing.

Paul

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

168c Qualcomm Atheros
001a AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5005G(S) 802.11bg]

When I download this...

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont.../tm4wlanax.exe

the AthInst.REG.txt has
"InternalDevice22"="PCI\\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_ 7094144F"

So that should have done something for you.

*******

Using the hardware string for that Wifi, there are a ton
of drivers with the same string. You don't have to download
from here, but admire just how many re-packaging efforts for
the same drivers took place.

http://www.driversdownloader.com/har...ubsys_7094144f

Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

Qualcomm Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter

I had poor luck, starting with that list.

*******

Now, this site has a driver, but it's sneaky. It's an "unofficial"
download site, meaning it has nothing to do with Atheros.

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wirele...set=9&system=1

I actually had to go to another web page, to find out how to *use*
the page.

The page is divided into panes. The top pane shows:

File: xp3264-10.0.0.260-whql.zip (1727 KB)

If you click the small button one inch wide and rectangular that
says "Click to download", the "Downloaded" status indicator
in the upper right hand corner changes to "Searching for files...".
You have to be patient, before your file shows up. The delay
is meant to get you viewing the advertising links and so on.
The file save box eventually shows up, and the file is
actually coming from here.

http://download3.dvd-driver.cz/ather...0.260-whql.zip

Inside, is an INF style installer. The netathw.inf file is the one.

It says:

%ATHER.DeviceDesc.T001A% = ATHER_DEV_2054.ndi,
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS_7094144F

If you right click the .inf file, there will be an "INSTALL"
entry in the context menu. And that's how you install the driver.
The driver will copy athw.sys to the system folder (2142336 bytes).
You may already have that file by now. It'll be set up as a service.

If you installed no other file, you could then use Wireless Zero Config
to manage the new Wifi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireles..._Configuration

"The drivers for the wireless adapter query the NDIS Object IDs
and pass the available network names (SSIDs) to the service."

The above athw.sys is an NDIS5.1 driver for the Wifi. And as
far as I know, if a Wifi has an NDIS driver, then the WZC can
manage it. Something like that. I would expect, if you installed
a proprietary Wifi manager, it'll override WZC and do the
management function instead. To use the Wifi, you need to
select the router, use the correct encryption standard
or whatever. The management function presumably collects
all that info, so you can make a connection. The bare
NDIS driver is "interface free" by comparison.

Paul
Old November 21st 13, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:28:11 -0500, Paul wrote:

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

168c Qualcomm Atheros
001a AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5005G(S) 802.11bg]

When I download this...

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont.../tm4wlanax.exe

the AthInst.REG.txt has
"InternalDevice22"="PCI\\VEN_168C&DEV_001A&SUBSYS _7094144F"

So that should have done something for you.

I'll be darned. I installed the tm4wlanax.exe driver I had downloaded
earlier today again because it was what I got from the above URL at
that time. It worked! Wifi is established and is working.

I can't explain this, except I must have done something wrong earlier.
You did a lot of work for which I am grateful.

Thank you much

Big Fred

*******

Toshiba Satellite problem JFG General 7 June 26th 08 02:47 PM
Toshiba Satellite : Hibernate Problem laknabu Homebuilt PC's 0 September 10th 06 09:03 AM
problem with display - toshiba satellite 1800-400 HELP please pm General 4 February 9th 06 05:10 PM
Problem with TOSHIBA Satellite 1130 ! R.Roshak General 0 May 20th 04 02:05 PM
problem with Toshiba Satellite LCD laptop monitor em General Hardware 0 April 30th 04 07:41 PM