IDE HDD into SATA Motherboard

Old December 10th 12, 11:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default IDE HDD into SATA Motherboard

On Friday, December 7, 2012 2:33:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I have a DELL Optiplex that is strictly SATA. I have a nice IDE
hard drive that I want to hook up instead of a SATA drive. What
is the cheapest way I can do this? Where can I buy what I need?
I have found power cables, but not data cables. I don't to spend
too much.

Before today, you could have gotten one of these for $3, delivered.
It's now $5:

http://www.meritline.com/ide-to-sata...--p-36542.aspx

The current version, which is slightly different from the one
pictured, works flawlessly with all types of drives, but the SATA
connectors are labelled poorly, so it's easy to mix them up (the
SATA _controller_ goes to the SATA connector next to the power
connection), and the IDE PATA connector is so small it can be
plugged into the wrong pins and inserted backwards (despite the
key molded into it).

PCI controller cards based on a Silicon Image chip or VIA VT6421A
chip are OK, even the ones selling for $5-10 on Ebay. But don't get
anything that uses a similar VT6421 or VL6421 because they don't work
with SATA II drives, due to achip design flaw that can't be corrected
with a BIOS update (unlike Silicon Image, VIA doesn't give out BIOS
upgrades to everybody, and I had to get mine from MassCool or NewEgg's
Rosewill. The VIA chips support both SATA and PATA IDE drives, but
don't expect VIA or Silicon Image cards to work well with optical
drives. I've gotten them to work 100% only with Silicon Image SATA
cards.