Failed HD - How to rebuild RAID 1 array Adaptec 1420SA?

Old September 20th 06, 06:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Leon Willard

Default Failed HD - How to rebuild RAID 1 array Adaptec 1420SA?

We recently installed a server with an Adaptec 1420SA RAID card running SBS
2003. The server has two mirrored pairs of drives (RAID 1). One pair is for
the OS (80GB), and the other pair is for data files (400GB). Everything has
been working fine until one of the 400GB drives failed. -- Here's our
problem - we have installed the new replacement drive, but it is not part of
the RAID pair anymore. I have gone into the setup (Ctrl A), but it isn't
very clear what to do at that point. It won't allow me to recreate a new
array, or to rebuild the array - there's a function for that, but it doesn't
work. The Adaptec manual says to 'destroy' the old array, but the only
choice seems to be to 'Delete' the array. --- Well, there's a big warning
that deleting the array will destroy all data on the drives. We definitely
don't want to do that! I have called Adaptec tech support, but they haven't
been very helpful. In fact, they are difficult to deal with. I have talked
to several different techs, and each has a different solution - none of
which has worked. But with their advice and urging, the card's drivers and
BIOS has been fully updated, but the problem remains. -- As you can see, I
could certainly use some help on this problem. -- Thanks.

Leon

Old September 20th 06, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

Leon Willard wrote:

[...]

You may have to "initialise" the new disk (from within the Adaptec setup
screens) in order that it can be added to the array.

After this, you should see options to rebuild the array.

In any event, I'd be inclined to back up important data from the working
drive before doing this - just in case.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

RAID 1 to RAID 0 migration issues D Intel 2 December 5th 05 08:53 PM
adaptec 29320 g7syj Asus Motherboards 6 October 22nd 05 04:54 AM
RAID 10 PowerEdge failed rebuild question RaleighExtreme Dell Computers 4 October 4th 05 02:19 PM
How to set up RAID 0+1 on P4C800E-DLX MB -using 4 SATA HDD's & 2 ATA133 HHD? Data Wing Asus Motherboards 2 June 5th 04 03:47 PM
help with motherboard choice S.Boardman General 30 October 20th 03 10:23 PM