HD not seen

Old December 28th 07, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
TERRY

Default HD not seen

I am sill unable to find out clearly what formatting is required for a 2.5"
laptop HD for the use of just data transfering.?

Terry
"Terry" wrote in message
Greetings group.

Sorry if this is acroos-post but I do not appear to be getting anywhere

My aim:

I have a spare laptop 2.5" h/d with Win XP OS on it and wish to "clean it"
and use it for Desktop/laptop....
saving data using external enclosure & USB connection.
At present the HD is not recognised in the enclosure.

I also have an XP desktop PC.

My question:

Using my laptop(winXP) , how will I prepare this spare
H/D....format/Fdisk??

TIA

Terry

Old December 28th 07, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Terry wrote:
I am sill unable to find out clearly what formatting is required for a 2.5"
laptop HD for the use of just data transfering.?

Terry

"Partitioning" declares the size of a volume on the disk. If the previous
partition is visible in Disk Management, and is using the entire disk,
then you don't really need to change anything. If the full size is not being
reported, then something may need to be changed. (Bearing in mind that
the units of disk capacity are confusing. if you had a 40GB drive,
and did the arithmetic, the capacity you might see would be
40,000,000,000 / 1024*1024*1024 = 37.25 GiB in the OS. Units are
discussed he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte )

"Formatting" removed the previous information in a partition. If you right
click on the partition in Disk Management, you should find an option to
Format it. If you select the "Quick" option, that one doesn't visit every
sector and wipe all the information out. Quick only prepares the sectors involved
with the directory structure of the disk. It does a perfectly good job of
formatting, and doesn't waste a lot of your time. It makes the old information
invisible to the naked eye. If you were trying to hide something though (destroy
an old porn collection), there is still a lot of info on the disk that could be
uncovered via forensic means. A full format should visit every sector and do
something to it. That would be a bit more hygienic. After a full format, not
only is the directory structure renewed, but all of the sectors holding old
data have been erased too. "Quick" is good enough for your described
purpose.

If you are still having trouble, perhaps you could describe what you see in
the Disk Management window. Is the drive showing up at all ?

Paul

Old December 28th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
TERRY

OK Paul
This 2.5" drive has now XP os installed.
If connected to Desktop PC via IBM Travelstar USB caddy nothing shows up
anywhere.!!!
If swapped with my laptop drive, it starts XP OK, but in "My
Computer/manage" I am not allowed to format due to it being the C: drive
(can't alter drive letter!).
Just to remind you I earlier bought a 2.5" drive off Ebay, put it in the
above caddy and I am able to transfer data via USB desktop or laptop!!(now
near full).

Terry

Old December 28th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Terry wrote:
OK Paul
This 2.5" drive has now XP os installed.
If connected to Desktop PC via IBM Travelstar USB caddy nothing shows up
anywhere.!!!
If swapped with my laptop drive, it starts XP OK, but in "My
Computer/manage" I am not allowed to format due to it being the C: drive
(can't alter drive letter!).
Just to remind you I earlier bought a 2.5" drive off Ebay, put it in the
above caddy and I am able to transfer data via USB desktop or laptop!!(now
near full).

Terry

There is a suggestion in this article, that there is a pin block
to the side of the 44 pin section. Notice that the 44 pin
section has a missing pin, which is for keying (to try to
ensure that pin 1 of cable goes to pin 1 of drive).

http://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/disk-pinout.htm

The pin block has four pins. One jumper position is
vertically oriented, and one is horizontal. Due to the
pin pitch of the connector (could be 2mm), you may find
that conventional (0.1") jumpers don't fit. They do make
jumper plugs for the smaller spacing, but I don't know
if you could find an item like that at Radio Shack.

Assorted jumpers (not known what types mixed in bag)
http://www.strangebrewpc.com/moreinf...Product_ID=566

2mm jumpers at a high price
http://www0.shopping.com/xGS-Hard_Dr...kin_id-8001671

0.1" jumpers
http://www.stsi.biz/m055-01.html

More 2mm jumpers
http://www.stsi.biz/24873.html

Paul
Old December 29th 07, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
TERRY

Right Paul...I will attempt to get jumpers....In my ignorance I thought one
had to do any "jumping" inside the drive!! LOL.
Will it interfere with me then placing the "caddy card" on the drive pins
before placing into the tight fitting caddy shell.
Terry

Old December 29th 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

TERRY wrote:
Right Paul...I will attempt to get jumpers....In my ignorance I thought one
had to do any "jumping" inside the drive!! LOL.
Will it interfere with me then placing the "caddy card" on the drive pins
before placing into the tight fitting caddy shell.
Terry

I didn't even know those things had jumpers, until I did a search and
found an example.

Someone the other day, put a different brand of DVD in their laptop,
and the thing had no jumpers. For that, apparently you could load
*firmware* to set the thing to master or slave. So there are some
pretty brain dead schemes out there.

I expect, if the hardware makers are familiar with the backside
of 2.5" hard drives, they will have made allowance for the use of
jumpers. Jumper plugs come in different forms - some for example,
have a plastic "paddle" on the end, to make them easier to grab.
Others are low profile, and I have to use needle nose pliers to
manipulate those. As long as the jumpers you get are relatively
low profile, I wouldn't expect a problem.

Paul

Old January 7th 08, 08:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

Terry wrote:

I have a spare laptop 2.5" h/d with Win XP OS on it and wish to "clean it"
and use it for Desktop/laptop....

Zero fill the drive to bring it to factory fresy specs.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/