web cam for outside view

Old July 10th 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Paul Oman

Default web cam for outside view

Can I use a $30 walmart webcam for outdoor images? If not, what is a
good web cam to take pics of my backyard?

paul
Old July 10th 07, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Simon[_3_]

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can I use a $30 walmart webcam for outdoor images? If not, what is a
good web cam to take pics of my backyard?

paul

I don't know about specific Walmart webcams, but I reckon that a cheap
webcam would be fine for taking pictures of a backyard, provided there isn't
too much sky in the frame, and you don't need to see detail in the sky.

If you want the webcam to show detail in the backyard and the sky at the
same time, you could try a graduated filter, see
http://www.sgurr.co.uk/lundycam/tech.html.

Letting webcams look directly at the sun probably isn't good for them, but
in my experience low-angle sun doesn't cause major problems.

Old July 11th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam
Geoffers

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
ink.net...
Can I use a $30 walmart webcam for outdoor images? If not, what is a good
web cam to take pics of my backyard?

paul

I used a cheapo webcam from Hong Kong ($4 on eBay) placed in a bush to watch
a birds nest.
It had 6 automatic led's (and sound) so I could watch the nest at night too.
I watched 4 blackbirds from hatching to leaving the nest.
Pictures were very clear and good colour repro.

It survived rain and hail for about 6 weeks and still works OK!