NTFS partition corrupt

Old August 31st 03, 06:17 PM

Default NTFS partition corrupt

My WinXP PC hard disc has 2 NTFS partitions C: and D:. C: is working
fine, however when clicking on D: it says:
"NTFS partition not accessible."
"The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable."
I have tried Norton Disc Doctor (from Norton SystemWorks2003
professional) but it cannot recognize D:.
In the WinXP Disc Management both partitions are shown, however, D: is
blank under the category "file system" (instead of showing NTFS).
Is there any way how I can recover the NTFS on D: or at least my data
from D:?
Old August 31st 03, 11:00 PM
John Smith

Try doing a CHKDSK first, then try a Defrag from Computer Management.
Failing that you can try rebuilding the File Tree but there is a risk that
you lose everything... which you might already have done so...

om...

Old August 31st 03, 11:13 PM
Rod Speed

John Smith wrote
in message ...

Try doing a CHKDSK first, then try a Defrag from Computer Management.

VERY bad idea indeed to do a defrag when you want to recover data.

Failing that you can try rebuilding the File Tree but there is a risk
that you lose everything... which you might already have done so...

om...

Old September 1st 03, 05:23 PM
John Smith

Before we try anything else can you access it from within Computer
Management - what does Disk Management see? Can you do anything from within
there such as change the Drive Letter and Paths???

John.

wrote in message
om...
Tried Chkdsk D: but the computer did nothing. Obviously it did not
recognize D at all.

"John Smith" wrote in message

Yes, you are right. Spot on. It is late and I have worked two 14 hour

days
straight and was not thinking clearly. What a stupid thing to suggest.

I would still go ahead and do a CHKDSK first though. You might be

surprised
what it solves.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

John Smith wrote
in message ...

Try doing a CHKDSK first, then try a Defrag from Computer

Management.

VERY bad idea indeed to do a defrag when you want to recover data.

Failing that you can try rebuilding the File Tree but there is a

risk
that you lose everything... which you might already have done so...

om...

Old September 2nd 03, 02:39 PM

Yes, I can change the drive letter in disk management. On properties
it shows that 0 byte used space and 0 byte available space. Status is
healthy, layout is basic, file system is blank (instead of NTFS).
Capacity is 22,77GB and Free space also 22,77GB.

"John Smith" wrote in message

Yes, you are right. Spot on. It is late and I have worked two 14 hour

days
straight and was not thinking clearly. What a stupid thing to suggest.

I would still go ahead and do a CHKDSK first though. You might be

surprised
what it solves.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

John Smith wrote
in message ...

Try doing a CHKDSK first, then try a Defrag from Computer

Management.

VERY bad idea indeed to do a defrag when you want to recover data.

Failing that you can try rebuilding the File Tree but there is a

risk
that you lose everything... which you might already have done so...

om...