Bootup Error ....

Old January 31st 05, 02:47 AM
mikeylbl

Default Bootup Error ....

The virus software i have installed is Mcafee Virus Scan V8.0 with th
security center that came with it..

This is a new hard drive yes

P4 3.0Ghz HT 1MB

before SP2 was installed, yes everything was fine.. then windows updat
pops up and recommends the SP2

then after that was installed.. everything seemed fine.. I was able t
do a restart.. but once again.. powering off the system complelely an
letting it stay off for about hmm 10mins then rebooting then gettin
that error about the windows\system32\config\system..

I can still get into windows.. but it takes a few reboots to hav
windows load up competely..

Is Mcafee virus scan bad for SP2???........

George Macdonald Wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:58:19 +0000, mikeylbl
wrote:
-

Western Digital SATA hard drive.. WD2000JD 200GIG
Asus motherboard P4P800SE bios 1007

I have mcafee virus scan..
the motherboard has a virus detection in it.. that is disabled..
The Hd is only 1 Partition.. NTSF

"boot sector virus checking was turned off in
BIOS Setup?"
Yes that is disabled too

As for SP2, that I downloaded from windows update-

I'm confused about what has and has not worked so far - if SP2 wa
applied
separately, then was the system shutting down and powering back on OK
*before* SP2 was applied? Is this a new system or just a new har
disk?
Which CPU, mbrd etc.? SP2 *does* react badly with several anti-viru
progs
and this can result in file corruption.
-
George Macdonald Wrote:-
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:49:46 +0000, mikeylbl
wrote:
-

Hey there, I just installed a brand new WD SATA HD.. installe
windows
xp pro...
I did SP2 as well.. everything was set up fine..
then.. when I shutdown my computer completely and do a power bac
on..
I get an error msg when it boots.. it would show the windows xp pro
screen then I get a black screen saying "windows could not start
because of the following file is missing or corrupt:
windows\system32\config\system

why is this?? It was a fresh install of xp pro.. I formatted my hd
too..
Any ideas??-

What did you use to format it?... any partitioning?... FAT32 or NTFS?
Was
SP2 added on or slipstreamed in? Any anti-virus software, which acts
badly
with SP2? I've had trouble with XP with drives formatted with the
drive
mfr's diag tool. Try booting from the XP install CD to the repair
utility
to see what it makes of the drive.

Tell us more about the mbrd/SATA controller, drive size and BIOS
settings.
E.g. did you make sure any boot sector virus checking was turned off
in
BIOS Setup?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald-

--
mikeylbl-

--
Rgds, George Macdonal

--
mikeylbl
Old January 31st 05, 09:18 AM
George Macdonald

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:47:22 +0000, mikeylbl
wrote:

The virus software i have installed is Mcafee Virus Scan V8.0 with the
security center that came with it..

This is a new hard drive yes

P4 3.0Ghz HT 1MB

before SP2 was installed, yes everything was fine.. then windows update
pops up and recommends the SP2

Even with the new hard drive, everything was OK?... or did you install SP2
right after installing the new hard drive?

then after that was installed.. everything seemed fine.. I was able to
do a restart.. but once again.. powering off the system complelely and
letting it stay off for about hmm 10mins then rebooting then getting
that error about the windows\system32\config\system..

So it's only on a cold start that you get errors? That doesn't sound like
a software problem but see below anyway. You might want to check for a
BIOS update and/or new SATA drivers but neither should affect a cold start
only problem. Have you downloaded the Western Digital diags and checked
the new hard drive? Also, though I've personally not had good luck with
SMART, make sure it's turned on for the drive.

I can still get into windows.. but it takes a few reboots to have
windows load up competely..

Is Mcafee virus scan bad for SP2???........

I've no experience with McAfee but it depends on how old it is... i.e. does
it predate SP2. Check with McAfee for updates and/or comments on SP2. SP2
has broken lots of softwa I've had trouble with Norton Anti-Virus, where
it would cause a blue screen on shutdown and resulting file corruption - in
that case it was due to the shutdown-floppy drive check and turning that
option off fixed it; apparently the scheduled virus definitions update
feature was also broken but I never use that anyway. I've also had trouble
with networked printing with SP2.

If you can get the system up, I'd suggest doing the following from a
Command Prompt:

SFC /PURGECACHE
SFC /SCANNOW

That should flush your system file cache and run a check of system files
for corruption and refresh anything which is damaged. The /SCANNOW takes
quite a while to run.

wrote:
-

Western Digital SATA hard drive.. WD2000JD 200GIG
Asus motherboard P4P800SE bios 1007

I have mcafee virus scan..
the motherboard has a virus detection in it.. that is disabled..
The Hd is only 1 Partition.. NTSF

"boot sector virus checking was turned off in
BIOS Setup?"
Yes that is disabled too

As for SP2, that I downloaded from windows update-

I'm confused about what has and has not worked so far - if SP2 was
applied
separately, then was the system shutting down and powering back on OK
*before* SP2 was applied? Is this a new system or just a new hard
disk?
Which CPU, mbrd etc.? SP2 *does* react badly with several anti-virus

Old January 31st 05, 11:17 PM
YanquiDawg

I hate McAfee. I've had to replace it on customers PC's more times than I can
count. And wouldn't you know,AOL's free virus software is McAfee.
Switch to Norton or AVG.

Old February 1st 05, 12:05 AM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person YanquiDawg said
I hate McAfee. I've had to replace it on customers PC's more times than I can
count. And wouldn't you know,AOL's free virus software is McAfee.
Switch to Norton or AVG.

Switch to Trend or AVG. (NAV gets more bad press in the AV groups than
everything else put together.)

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Weird bootup error Sam Homebuilt PC's 7 July 18th 04 03:42 AM
HDD error when imaging drive using Norton Ghost Arnold Korns Storage & Hardrives 0 May 3rd 04 05:54 AM
Getting a weird Promise RAID (Win XP) error with my ASUS P4C800 Deluxe M. B. Asus Motherboards 5 February 9th 04 12:19 AM
Boot problem - NVRAM? - Pri Master HDD Error RedSparks Homebuilt PC's 1 January 31st 04 02:07 PM