2TB IDE RAID Storage - Build Vs. Buy

Old August 29th 04, 06:35 PM
Ted Rivera

Default 2TB IDE RAID Storage - Build Vs. Buy

My department is in need of 2 terabytes of storage space for archiving image
files. The image files must be available on-line to our customer support
agents (24x7). However, the files are accessed infrequently. So, IDE RAID
seems to be a perfect choice. Right now, I have two possible IDE RAID
solutions for my requirements.

First Solution (DIY)

---------------------

Build a 2 terabytes NAS server with:

a.. A 3Ware 8506-12 SATA Raid Controller (supports 12 SATA HDs)
a.. http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata8000.asp
b.. A 4U rackmount chassis that holds 12+ SATA HDs and a motherboard
c.. Intel P4 3.2GHz processor with a server-grade motherboard
d.. 2 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
e.. 10 x 250MB Western Digital SATA HD w/8MB cache
f.. Running RAID-5
g.. Running RedHat 9.0 operating system (w/ NAS software)

Second Solution (SATA IDE Storage Box)

Build a 2 Terabytes NAS server with:

a.. Rackmount.com's SRAID Series 3U Smart IDE RAID Box
a.. http://www.rackmount.com/RAID/SRAID.htm
b.. Any 1U P4 3.2GHz rackmount server with 2 x Gigabit Eethernt Ports and
a U320 SCSI port
c.. 10 x 250MB Western Digital SATA HD w/8MB cache
d.. Running RAID-5
e.. Running RedHat 9.0 operating system (w/NAS software)

This is basically a build verses buy question. Should I buy something that
is proven to run on IDE RAID (SRAID Series 3U Smart RAID Box) or build my
own IDE RAID box utilizing 3Ware SATA controller? Thanks!

Old August 29th 04, 08:54 PM
Jesper Monsted

"Ted Rivera" wrote in
rvers.com:

This is basically a build verses buy question. Should I buy something
that is proven to run on IDE RAID (SRAID Series 3U Smart RAID Box) or
build my own IDE RAID box utilizing 3Ware SATA controller? Thanks!

Either way will work just fine, as long as you're comfortable building that
kind of thing yourself. I'd probably look at the price, since the 3ware
controller offers pretty much anything a "real" RAID box will.

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old August 30th 04, 06:23 AM
Scott

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:35:44 -0400, "Ted Rivera"
wrote:

My department is in need of 2 terabytes of storage space for archiving image
files. The image files must be available on-line to our customer support
agents (24x7). However, the files are accessed infrequently.

Have you considered a quick-acces tape library ?

Far cheaper opertionally than keeping 2TB of disk spinning for years.
The disk will be cheaper in raw materials, but the time needed to
create and maintain it (and the energy consumed) will be far higher
over time.

With some ILM type software it will just appear to be part of the
filesystem where the files take an extra 30sec to come up.

Scott
Old August 30th 04, 06:49 AM
JSpencerJr

Your first solution will be cheaper to implement than the second.
3Ware IDE RAID controller costs much less than a fully integrated IDE
RAID box. If you have the budget, go for the fully integrated IDE RAID
box.

First Solution (DIY)

Old August 30th 04, 05:15 PM
adieball

Hi

I'd be interrested in what the actual cost of the two solutions in
question are. Just the plain hardware cost, no maintenance and no cost
for actual building it (time).

Andre

JSpencerJr Wrote:
Your first solution will be cheaper to implement than the second.
3Ware IDE RAID controller costs much less than a fully integrated IDE
RAID box. If you have the budget, go for the fully integrated IDE RAID
box.

"Ted Rivera" wrote in message
ervers.com...
First Solution (DIY)

adieball's Profile: http://www.storagecommunity.com/foru...r.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.storagecommunity.com/foru...hread.php?t=60

Old October 13th 04, 06:35 PM
Greg A. Woods

"Ted Rivera" writes:

My department is in need of 2 terabytes of storage space for archiving image
files. The image files must be available on-line to our customer support
agents (24x7). However, the files are accessed infrequently. So, IDE RAID
seems to be a perfect choice. Right now, I have two possible IDE RAID
solutions for my requirements.

Have you looked at the Apple Xserve RAID array?

It's the cheapest commercial FC RAID array by far.

I just installed a brand new 3.5TB unit for a client -- total cost was
about $17,000[cad], including taxes, two Qlogic 2300 FC cards, GBICs,
fibre cables, etc.

My business partner just bought an older model, used, on eBay, with
about 2TB capacity, for $4200[usd].

Note Apple is using IDE (er, ATA100), drives on the inside. :-)

--
Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098 VE3TCP RoboHack
Planix, Inc. Secrets of the Weird