What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Old April 17th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

Default What are regulations for Easter trading? [OT]

Gully Foyle wrote:

So, you too drive a foreign car.

The Ka? I think it's made in Brazil these days. The Jag was British
made. So what?

You're the one who brought up the subject.

Can't think why, but I'm just replying.

Had an Alfa once - what a rustbucket that was! Almost as bad as the
Fiat. Fortunately in those days we had a company car so got to dump
them after 3 years.

Which is exactly what will happen to the Ka.... given that Ford
neglected any form of rust proofing for them, unlike the galvanised
Fiats and Alfas we run.

We had the FIat and the Alfa from new for three years. My little Ka is
six years old already and no obvious rust as yet.

Times have changed. In the 90s / early part of this decade it was Ford
who had the reputation for rust. Give the Ka time, it won't be long
before the sills and rear arches are blistered with the stuff.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old April 17th 06, 09:36 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:23:39 +0100, "Stuffed" wrote:

"Gully Foyle" wrote in message
.. .
It's Easter Monday, I'm cooking for the family and the kids ate the
strawberries I had earmarked for the tart. Fortunately Tesco (bless
'em) is open and I can go buy some more.

So because you couldn't/ wouldn't stop your brats munching down the food you
had plans for, a few people had to sit in a supermarket waiting your arrival
so you could still make that yummy afters.

Actually Tesco was pretty packed. No.1 daughter apologised for eating
the strawberries and to be fair she didn't know I got them for
something special. Still - she did refuse an Easter Egg this year and
the strawberries were considerably cheaper so I'm really not that
upset.

And it was yummy, thank you for asking.

The fact they might well have preferred to be at home cooking or eating with
their families, but were contractually obliged to sit around waiting to
serve you is unimportant then?

Life's a bitch isn't it? I'm sure many people would like to sit around
all day like I do but then again I can afford to (just...) and they
can't.

--
I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.
Old April 17th 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

In article , Greg Hennessy
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:13:56 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Greg Hennessy
wrote:
whilst demanding that we destroy all the tools and goods that we had
from the same common cause (eg engineering and electronic tools and
goods) and needed for economic revival.

Those terms applied to all recipients of lend lease.

But not to the USA as recipient of the quid pro quo.

Translation please.

The USA didn't pay their debts.

Old April 17th 06, 09:59 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Mike Civil wrote:

In article ,
SteveH wrote:
[Mike Civil:]
Really? A cynic might say there's _plenty_ of opportunity for
families to get together - if they wanted to. However it's easy to
pick something (other than themselves of course) to blame. It's no
different from your statement about people being able to plan for
shops being shut.

OK, so, for example, father works Mon-Fri in an office or factory,
8am-5pm. Mother works 3 evenings, 4-8pm, plus, for example, 12-4 on
Saturday and 12-4 on Sunday.

So (genuine question) why do the example parents have a family then
if they don't have any time at all to look after it (or expect
society to pick up the pieces)?

Well the example parents may not have been in that situation when they
decided to have children - children have a certain effect upon the
household budget that may not have been fully thought through.

In our situation - mother works Tues-Fri 8am -5pm, I work 3 evenings
and most of Saturday and have only started to do that in the last few
months...

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/
Old April 17th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 21:39:23 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Greg Hennessy
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:13:56 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article , Greg Hennessy
wrote:
whilst demanding that we destroy all the tools and goods that we had
from the same common cause (eg engineering and electronic tools and
goods) and needed for economic revival.

Those terms applied to all recipients of lend lease.
But not to the USA as recipient of the quid pro quo.

Translation please.

The USA didn't pay their debts.

Let me see, the USA picked up almost the entire tab for lend lease, bailed
the UK out of a hole which was entirely of its own making and then handed
it even more money through the Marshall plan.

The notion that they somehow 'didnt pay their debts' is risible nonsense.
--
Chuck Norris and Mr.T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly
destroyed,as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.
Old April 18th 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

"Derek ^" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:39:52 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

rather then Good Friday was the 'taboo' day for opening?

It never was, I recall going to the bank on GF, and going shopping in
Asda

Assuming that by 'GF' you're attempting to claim that you went to a 'bank'
on Good Friday - insinuating that said bank was open for business - could
you please cite the date and branch name and location?

HSBC (as now)

Queen Street
Morley
Leeds
West Yorks
LS27 8DY

40-33-19

Dates would have been "Good Fridays -Various" after 1965.

[I too have 'been to a bank' on 'Bank Holidays' , albeit to transact with
an
impersonal Automatic Telling Machine (ATM) - but I doubt this meets most
peoples' definition of 'going to the bank'!}

They were open as normal until lunchtime. Presumably so that tradesmen
could bank their takings before the holiday weekend. I don't know when
the transactions were posted.

Then; could you please edit the following entry in Wikipedia ... which is
obviously wrong if your claim is credible;-

[ Snippi Wiki ]

Bank Holiday Act 1871

Note that Good Friday and Christmas Day were not specified for England,
Wales and Ireland because they were already recognized as common-law
holidays there.

Bank Holiday Act 1971

So for 100 years prior to 1971, Good Friday was not a bank holiday in
England Wales and Ireland.

You need to take comprehension lessons!
Good Friday has been a statutary holiday since 1834.
The Bank Holiday Act 1971 added extra Bank Holidays - throughout the United
Kingdom but did not _need_ to specify Good Friday _as it was already a
common-law holiday. The Bank Holiday Act 1971 -which introduced 'Harold
Wilson Day' - specified a complete list of Bank Holidays.
Other than stupidity, and or inadaqute teaching, how can you you make your
statement
"So for 100 years prior to 1971, Good Friday was not a bank holiday in
England Wales and Ireland"?

trading day.

On the other hand -"I recall going to the bank on GF, and going shopping
in
Asda " seems somewhat inconsistent with ASDA's "story":

In what way?

http://asdacares.gpalm.co.uk/the_asd...tory_load.html
quote
Through a process of acquisition and diversification, a new public company
was formed in 1949 - Associated Dairies & Farm Stores Ltd. with Arthur
Stockdale as Managing Director. ....
/quote

BTW, Thank you but you needn't have taken the trouble. I can remember
when "Associated Dairies" was "Craven Dairies" their first corporate
headquarters was in a disused cinema on Kirkstall Rd. and "Farm
Stores" was a Pork Pie /sausage shop on the other side of the road.

Totally irrelevent to your statement - I can remember when when lots of
current companie were trading as a predecessor entity.

So, Banks have been prohibited from opening on Good Friday before and
after
the incoporation of ASDA .... according to the law of the land,

But not continuously so.

see above statement and question ...

............. My account at Midland bank was opened in
1965. It was perfectly normal to transact banking business on Good
Friday and go on to shop at ASDA.

BTW; I opened my first account with Midland Bank at a branch in Liverpool in
1957.
it was 'perfectly normal' for the branch and all other branches of all other
Banks to close their doors - as prescribed by law - on Good Friday and nnot
reopen until (10:00?) on the Tuesday after Easter Monday.

Huh!

--

Brian

I was therefore correct to challenge the statement that :

"Good Friday was the 'taboo' day for opening"

DG

Old April 18th 06, 11:36 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom,uk.comp.vendors,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 05:17:51 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

They were open as normal until lunchtime. Presumably so that tradesmen
could bank their takings before the holiday weekend. I don't know when
the transactions were posted.

Then; could you please edit the following entry in Wikipedia ... which is
obviously wrong if your claim is credible;-

[ Snippi Wiki ]

Bank Holiday Act 1871

Note that Good Friday and Christmas Day were not specified for England,
Wales and Ireland because they were already recognized as common-law
holidays there.

Bank Holiday Act 1971

So for 100 years prior to 1971, Good Friday was not a bank holiday in
England Wales and Ireland.

You need to take comprehension lessons!

Tell me about it.

Good Friday has been a statutary holiday since 1834.

But not a bank holiday.

The Bank Holiday Act 1971 added extra Bank Holidays - throughout the United
Kingdom but did not _need_ to specify Good Friday _as it was already a
common-law holiday.

So was not created a "bank holiday".

The Bank Holiday Act 1971 -which introduced 'Harold
Wilson Day' - specified a complete list of Bank Holidays.
Other than stupidity, and or inadaqute teaching, how can you you make your
statement
"So for 100 years prior to 1971, Good Friday was not a bank holiday in
England Wales and Ireland"?

Well, the solution is simple, it wasn't a bank holiday it remained a
common law holiday.

[...]

Look at it again. (From a different link).

Bank Holidays in Scotland and England

The dates designated for Bank Holidays in 1871 we :

England - Easter Monday, last Monday in May, First Monday in August,
Boxing Day. Christmas Day was not included as it was already a 'common
law' holiday (unlike Scotland).

Nothing to stop a bank opening on Good Friday Ca 1968.

BTW here in Leeds the Tuesday after Easter is taken as a local
holiday, the Council Offices are shut today. Maybe that's why the
banks opened on Good Friday AM.

............. My account at Midland bank was opened in
1965. It was perfectly normal to transact banking business on Good
Friday and go on to shop at ASDA.

BTW; I opened my first account with Midland Bank at a branch in Liverpool in
1957.
it was 'perfectly normal' for the branch and all other branches of all other
Banks to close their doors - as prescribed by law - on Good Friday and nnot
reopen until (10:00?) on the Tuesday after Easter Monday.

And I wish them well.

Huh!

DG