Mustek Bearpaw 4800 problem

Old February 27th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
MaxB

Default Mustek Bearpaw 4800 problem

I have a 4800TA Pro II scanner which works fine standalone. I also have
PhotoShop Express 3 which I used to use to import scans from the scanner,
until recently!

Now, as soon as I attempt a scan or a preview, a message (from the scanner)
flashes up "Insufficient Memory", followed by "Scanner not ready, try
again". I have uninstalled and reinstalled both PSe and the scanner (several
times); updated the driver, moved USB ports around and generally tested
every combination I can think of, to no avail.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or even what the problem is! I can do scans
slowly but slides are difficult now and I have far less control over the
scan than before. Any help would be gratefully received.

I run XP Pro with 1.5Gb RAM.

Regards,

MaxB

Old February 27th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"MaxB" wrote in message
I have a 4800TA Pro II scanner which works fine standalone. I also have
PhotoShop Express 3 which I used to use to import scans from the scanner,
until recently!

Now, as soon as I attempt a scan or a preview, a message (from the
scanner) flashes up "Insufficient Memory", followed by "Scanner not ready,
try again". I have uninstalled and reinstalled both PSe and the scanner
(several times); updated the driver, moved USB ports around and generally
tested every combination I can think of, to no avail.

Can anyone suggest a solution, or even what the problem is! I can do scans
slowly but slides are difficult now and I have far less control over the
scan than before. Any help would be gratefully received.

I run XP Pro with 1.5Gb RAM.

Regards,

MaxB

How much free drive space do you have on the Windows XP partition.?
How much free space in your user temporary storage area.

When was the last time you ran drive clean up from My Computer?

Select each drive, properties, click Disk Cleanup button.

That will remove (if you allow) all the temporary internet files and the
temporary Windows files that collect and take up space.

It would not hurt to empty the Recycle Bin also.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old February 27th 07, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

I did not intend to send this message multiple times, my News Server screwed
up.
It kept saying the message was not sent. And no connection.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old February 27th 07, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
MaxB

"CSM1" wrote in message
"MaxB" wrote in message
[...]

I got quite excited there seeing so many replies!

My machine is pretty much clean as a whistle - it has 100GB of disk space
(at least), a Gig of free RAM (1.5 installed) and it is constantly checked
for viruses, spyware, fragmentation etc.etc. I don't believe the message I
am receiving is actually "accurate" unless the system is trying to use a bit
of memory already allocated to another service. But with USB it is a bit
difficult to see what is using what. It is important to note the message
comes up even with the lowest DPI setting and a tiny picture as soon as you
say "go"!

Further ideas?

Old February 28th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
CSM1

"MaxB" wrote in message
"CSM1" wrote in message
"MaxB" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe.

Do you know how to re-install the TWAIN files in the Windows folder from the
Windows XP SP2 CD?

There are four files in \Windows that are the TWAIN interface for Windows XP
that are a part of the Windows OS.

Sometimes these files get corrupted and all kinds of strange things happen
in trying to use a Scanner.

The four files a
twain.dll
twain_32.dll
twunk_16.exe
twunk_32.exe

To learn how to restore these four files from the Windows XP SP2 CD, Start
Help and Support.

In the search box type "Expand" without quotes, click the 'Go' arrow. You
will get one topic, Expand, click it to read the instructions. (hint: print
them).

Another possibility is to "renew" the USB drivers.

The way to do that is Open Device Manager and remove all of the Universal
Serial Bus controllers. If your Motherboard has USB 2.0 on board, there will
likely be two branches of USB in the Device Manager. Remove both branches.

Reboot the computer.

Reboot will cause Windows XP SP2 to restore the USB drivers from the Windows
XP cache.

On reboot you should see a found new hardware popup on the task bar. Just
wait up to one or two minutes for Windows to restore the USB drivers.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old February 28th 07, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner
MaxB

[...]

Thanks for further suggestions!

I actually got 2 topics but using the command line a) I am not sure which
CAB to look in and b) when I try to display the contents they flash on the
screen then vanish. Is there a paging command, -P maybe?

MaxB

PS My PC recently had a new motherboard and processor so XP has been
reinstalled from scratch (and actually from someone else's disc), and the
problem first occurred with the old mb.