Windows 10 taking forever to download for an upgrade from modernlaptop running Windows 7

Old May 8th 16, 12:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Windows 10 taking forever to download for an upgrade from modernlaptop running Windows 7

As reported all over the net.

The worse part, if you decide to upgrade using the "Windows Update" link rather than the "Notification" icon that appears on your taskbar, you'll 'block' any other Windows 7 updates from also installing while Windows 7 works on downloading Windows 10, which is taking forever. So you're screwed for future Windows 7 upgrades until such time the Windows 10 download has occurred.

I've been trying to download Win10 now for over 10 hours, and there's no progress bar nor anything to indicate where it's stuck at (different people have different interfaces, some report a 'circle' progress bar with percentage numbers.

My other downloads using by browser and uTorrent are working fine, and I have a decent 3 Mbps connection (in Athens, Greece at the moment).

No viruses or spyware that I'm aware of.

Good thing I made a disk image snapshot so I can roll back...

RL
Old May 8th 16, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

Well, at least you're having fun.

You can download a DVD here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...d/windows10ISO

If you visit that page from the Linux OS or from WinXP,
you will be given a direct link. If you use the direct link,
the transfer could stop after 2GB, randomly. I had two
download attempts truncated in that way. They wouldn't
go all the way to 3.5GB, and they also didn't stop
at the same place each time.

If you use Win7/Win8/Win10 to visit the web page,
you will be given a "stub downloader" called MediaCreationTool.
It's based on .NET libraries, and due to the recent
nature of the version of .NET, won't run on WinXP.
It handles the download and verifies the checksum. You can
ask it to deliver the output as an ISO9660 file.

You can run the setup.exe off that DVD, while
the qualifying OS is running. That allows you
to do an "Upgrade Install", keeping your existing
apps. Your copy of CPUZ will be removed. Incompatible
software can be removed. Icons which are soft links
which no longer link to things, can be removed
from the desktop. But other than that, you can
probably manage to upgrade the machine.

Paul
Old May 8th 16, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sun, 08 May 2016 09:03:50 -0400, Paul wrote:

| RayLopez99 wrote:
| As reported all over the net.
|
| The worse part, if you decide to upgrade using the "Windows Update" link rather than the "Notification" icon that appears on your taskbar, you'll 'block' any other Windows 7 updates from also installing while Windows 7 works on downloading Windows 10, which is taking forever. So you're screwed for future Windows 7 upgrades until such time the Windows 10 download has occurred.
|
| I've been trying to download Win10 now for over 10 hours, and there's no progress bar nor anything to indicate where it's stuck at (different people have different interfaces, some report a 'circle' progress bar with percentage numbers.
|
| My other downloads using by browser and uTorrent are working fine, and I have a decent 3 Mbps connection (in Athens, Greece at the moment).
|
| No viruses or spyware that I'm aware of.
|
| Good thing I made a disk image snapshot so I can roll back...
|
| RL
|
| Well, at least you're having fun.
|
| You can download a DVD here.
|
| https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...d/windows10ISO

Not quite as many hoops to jump through if the Windows 10 ISO is downloaded from
he

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench

Larc
Old May 9th 16, 11:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Paul wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

Is what you're saying Paul that you can upgrade to Win 10 from XP
directly? I've always figured I'd need to build or buy a new box since
I still have XP.

Did attempt to upgrade a laptop, but it's specs were not good enough so
using 7 on it.

Thanks

Mark
Old May 9th 16, 08:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 10:25:41 PM UTC+3, Larc wrote:

Not quite as many hoops to jump through if the Windows 10 ISO is downloaded from
he

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench

Larc

Thanks to you and Paul.

I wish I saw this earlier.

After downloading all my updates (which perhaps was the problem), then, without clicking on the "Try Windows 10" icon in the taskbar, but instead going to Windows Update directly, I finally got a "download Windows 10" link from inside Update, then, six hours later, I got Windows 10 to download, then, about 1 hour later I got it to work, and this time, unlike the upgrade to Win10 from Win8, I did not have to set up an outlook.com email account.

It works fine, even my 6 year old ThinkPad touchpad works, so "all's well".

I don't notice any big improvement, and the lack of '3-D' or "Aero" or 'shading', unlike in Win 7, means a lot of applications are harder to read for user control purposes, and look "2-D" when they need to have depth, but it's OK, it's functional.

RL
Old May 9th 16, 10:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

pheasant16 wrote:
Paul wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
[...]

Normally, Upgrade logic on a Windows OS, includes Migration
capability for the previous OS. Thus, you could Upgrade
from WinXP to Vista, using a Vista DVD. You could upgrade
Vista to Windows 7 with a Win7 DVD. You could
upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8 with a Win8 DVD.
Only the previous OS was supported.

In a departure from that, the Win10 DVD supports migration
from Win7SP1 and Win8.1. The bitness must be the same.
If you had 32 bit OS before, then the new install will
also be 32 bit. The trim level tends to be preserved.
Home Premium upgrades to Home. Professional upgrades
to Professional. There are five trim levels on WIn7SP1
and two trim levels on Win10, and a mapping from those
five levels, to the two levels on Win10. Win10 Pro supports
domains, has working GPEDIT, perhaps even BitLocker works ?
Win10 Home has less control over Windows Update.

(Win7 had Media Center. Win8 had Media Center as an
optional upgrade ($$). Win10 has no Media Center.
Win10 can play a commercial DVD movie disc, under
some conditions. I haven't been able to test that,
as I don't meet the conditions.)

So when you insert the Win10 DVD in this case, you
can migrate your programs and data from Win7SP1 or
Win8.1. But WinXP, that would require a clean install
by booting the Win10 DVD. And you wouldn't get to
keep your programs, and would have to reinstall all
of them. While in the past there was Files and
Settings Transfer (FAST) Wizard, Windows Easy Transfer (WET),
and the free Laplink Transfer program (contracted by
Microsoft), none of those really helps a WinXP user
all that much. It would probably take a couple
days to move over the missing stuff from your
WinXP backup, into the fresh clean Win10 install.

When the Win10 DVD runs, on a qualifying OS like
Win7SP1 or Win8.1, it will create a C:\Windows.old.
That keeps a copy of the OS. Initial, I thought that
folder was just the Windows folder, but it also
keeps a copy of Program Files in it. In some cases,
the Win10 installation, discards programs like CPUZ.
You would find the remnants of CPUZ in
C:\Windows.old\Program Files or similar.
So the migration logic has all sorts of little
exceptions, where it tosses stuff during the
install. I had assumed initially, that
Windows.old only contained System32, but
there is some other stuff in there.

Several of the modern OSes have Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr)
back-ported, and it includes features like
automatically deleting C:\Windows.old in 30
days. And this is the basis of the 30 day
reversion limit on Win10. If you upgrade Win7Sp1
to Win10, you have 30 days to decide to go
backwards. After that, the 20GB of files in
Windows.old are automatically deleted. But
you can accelerate the job, by running
cleanmgr.exe yourself, and finding the buried
option to clean out those 20GB of files.
I regularly do that on my Win10 Insider
edition, as that OS receives more frequent
OS refresh installations (current version
14332, while the release stream is something
like 10586.117).

As for a basic overview of Win10, it's a copy
of Win8.1 with SmartPhone slider switches and
SmartPhone spying. It hoovers up your Wifi
passwords and stores them on a Microsoft server.
(Everything nasty is an OpOut, not an OptIn.)
It pretends to provide Cloud features, operates
an App Store, but none of that particularly
attracted me. There was a Groove music player,
but just barely after they got the bugs
out of that, it runs on a subscription music
service. Again, no attraction here. At the
time I first tested that, it was taking up
the whole screen. But now the crappy Apps
can be resized a bit, and you no longer
have to suffer "single threaded hell" in
the GUI. I do not regularly use Apps. I
have to be careful not to enter Photos
when previewing an image. I use the "regular"
calculator, instead of the App Store style
calculator. And so on.

And a word on license keys. Some of the OSes
will run for 30 days, without a license key.

WinXP - can click "Next" during install, use for 30 days
Vista - Ditto
Win7 - Ditto
Win8/8.1 - must enter license key, no skipping
- using install-only license key, posted by a dude
from Germany, we can finally use it for 30 days.
A key for Home and Pro, 8/8.1, a total of four
keys exist.
Win10 - must enter license key, no skipping
- automatic licensing for Win7SP1/Win8.1 users
during an Upgrade install. Key is stored in the
Cloud, based on a hash of the hardware IDs in the
computer. OS reinstallation after Aug,2016, will
rely on those stored keys remaining valid (same
hardware hashes must be preserved).
- OS accepts valid Win7SP1/Win7.1 license keys. As
of the 10586 installer DVD.
- There are *no* install-only keys for home users.
Maybe IT guys have Enterprise keys, but we don't.
The dude in Germany didn't have any.
- You can trial Win10 in a VirtualBox VM. The "skip"
capability works in there. Currently, you would
need the very latest VirtualBox 5.0.20, for it
to work properly. Microsoft has been breaking things,
leaving the VirtualBox team to play catch-up.
5.0.18 was working, and then something broke again.

Loads of fun,
Paul
Old May 10th 16, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Paul wrote:
WinXP, that would require a clean install
by booting the Win10 DVD. And you wouldn't get to
keep your programs, and would have to reinstall all
of them.
Loads of fun,
Paul

Thanks Paul. Think buying or building a new box still sounds like best
option.
Old May 10th 16, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

pheasant16 wrote:
Did attempt to upgrade a laptop, but it's specs were not good enough so
using 7 on it.

By 'specs' are you talking about the CPU not being NX, PAE, & SSE2 or
are you saying that you believe that Win10 requires significantly more
resources in terms of ram & cpu power or was the trouble in the
availability of hardware drivers for Win10 compared to 7?

Some people say that Win10 requires no more resource 'power' than 7.

--
Mike Easter
Old May 11th 16, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Arnie Goetchius[_2_]

pheasant16 wrote:
Paul wrote:
WinXP, that would require a clean install
by booting the Win10 DVD. And you wouldn't get to
keep your programs, and would have to reinstall all
of them. Loads of fun,
Paul

Thanks Paul. Think buying or building a new box still sounds like best option.

I normally build but I bought a refurbished HP microtower from New Egg for $74.
It came with a clean install of Win 7 SP1 with no updates and 300 gb drive. So
you have to go through the update process which seems to take forever. The plan
is to have it upgrade to Win 10 and keep the other two I have on Win 7. Also
have one left on XP so I guess I covered.