Adding New Hard Drives & Memory

Old January 11th 05, 10:36 PM
bedhead

Default Adding New Hard Drives & Memory

Hi Karim,

It is working fine, I have had no problems whatsoever, it is reasonabl
speedy for my needs and very good value (although shopping around wit
other manufacturers, you could probably buy slightly cheaper but I go
a deal whereby I got double memory, printer and upgrade to 19" fla
panel from 17" standard monitor all free)

The only thing I would say is that the graphics card is an ATI X30
with 128mb VRAM, OK for my use but if you want a machine for hardcor
gaming, this will probably need to be upgraded to an nVidia 256m
card.

Happy Shopping

Ray Wrote:
I am looking at buying the same machine...how is it working? Are yo
happy
with the system?
Any advice?

Karim

"bedhead" wrote in message
...-

Could someone please provide assistance with adding new hard drives.

I have recently purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 P4 3.2 system an
wish
to make some of my own upgrades.

The units has 1GB of RAM, 1 x Maxtor 250GB Hard Driver, 1 x DVD RO
and
1 x DVD RW(16x).

I have breifly looked inside and what seems to be the HDD locatio
has
1 drive installed with two bays remaining.

The case also seems to have a lot of wasted space, probably for
airflow.

My problem is I am not sure if there is a limit on the hard driv
size,
the installed one seems extremely small to previous ones I have seen.

Also, the connector is not a ribbon, therefore I assume it is SAT
and
not ATA, the DVD drives have ribbons.

What do I need to buy, i.e. another Maxtor, do I need power cables
and
how do I connect it all up, there seem to be an awful lot of wires in
there.

Please help

--
bedhead