Anyone know where I can buy an LCD screen with no dead pixels?

Old December 29th 03, 09:33 AM
Alex Vallat

Default Anyone know where I can buy an LCD screen with no dead pixels?

Hello,

I want to buy a UXGA TFT monitor (I've got my eye on the Dell 2001FP, or
LG L2010P, which both use the same panel), but I have a rather different
idea of how many dead pixels are 'acceptable' than most online vendors
seem to. Does anyone here know of any online vendors which will either
check the screen they send me for dead pixels before they send it out,
and only send it if it doesn't have any, or let me return the screen
they send me if it turns out to have dead pixels once I receive it? I
might be prepared to accept one or two unlit pixels if they are at the
very edge of the screen, but lit or coloured pixels, or anything away
from the edge, is just not acceptable to me, regardless of what the
manufacturers say.

I guess if it turns out to be impossible to do it online I will have to
find a physical retailer where I can actually look at the screen myself
before buying it, but that would be a last resort for me.

Thanks,

Alex Vallat

--
(To email me, use @ComPorts.com instead of @Dont.Spam.Me)
Old December 29th 03, 01:27 PM
Max Longman

"Alex Vallat" wrote in message
[...]

You can return anything bar perishable goods and opened software within 7 days
under the distance selling regulations. You don't need to give a reason for the
return.

Old December 29th 03, 11:43 PM
tony_s

[...]

www.refreshcomputers.com used to offer a no dead pixel guarantee for about a
tenner. Don't know if they still do it though and they only had a very
small range of TFT screens - mostly AOC I think

Tony

Old December 30th 03, 08:40 AM
Alex Vallat

tony_s wrote:

www.refreshcomputers.com used to offer a no dead pixel guarantee for about a
tenner. Don't know if they still do it though and they only had a very
small range of TFT screens - mostly AOC I think

Tony

I had a look, they still offer this service, but none of the screens
they had on offer were UXGA (1600 x 1200) resolution. Thanks anyway,
though!

Alex
Old January 7th 04, 02:22 PM
Dave

tony_s wrote:

www.refreshcomputers.com used to offer a no dead pixel guarantee for

about a
tenner. Don't know if they still do it though and they only had a very
small range of TFT screens - mostly AOC I think

Tony

I had a look, they still offer this service, but none of the screens
they had on offer were UXGA (1600 x 1200) resolution. Thanks anyway,
though!

What I want to know is why I can buy a digital camera with 5 million pixels
and each one is garanteed to work yet I can't get the same garantee with an
LCD panel.

Alex

Old January 15th 04, 01:21 PM
Mindspring

You cannot buy a 5MP camera with all good pixels. The (consumer grade) CCDs
simply aren't prodcude without bad pixels. However, logic in the camera
ignores the pixles known to be bad so you don't see them.

Unfortuneately, with LCD displays, we cannot set logic in out brains to
ignore bad pixles. I just ordered a Dell 2001FP. My fingers are crossed.

Old January 16th 04, 09:24 AM
Nick D

tony_s wrote:

www.refreshcomputers.com used to offer a no dead pixel guarantee for

about a
tenner. Don't know if they still do it though and they only had a

very
small range of TFT screens - mostly AOC I think

Tony

I had a look, they still offer this service, but none of the screens
they had on offer were UXGA (1600 x 1200) resolution. Thanks anyway,
though!

What I want to know is why I can buy a digital camera with 5 million

pixels
and each one is garanteed to work yet I can't get the same garantee with

an
LCD panel.

Alex

Having the same sleepless nights myself:-(