sad & lonely man

Old September 12th 03, 02:44 PM
Robin Gordon

Default sad & lonely man

i'm getting desperate now. the machine booted at the lowest setting of
100/100 FSB and i reset the bios to 143/143 as usual and mem timings to fast
& latency to 2 instead of 2.5. the machine wouldnt reboot.
tried usual reset bios with power lead off & nothing, wouldnt even spin the
fans.
* new PSU and the fans spin but it still wont post.
* different working memory = no post
* another mobo = no post
* new CPU (XP2400+) = no post.

i have all the bits to build another computer but still cant get it to post
or boot up.
i'm really missing the power of my athlon but luckily i've still got a
trusty old p2 333
anyone got advice for a really ****ed off individual.

Robin(

Old September 12th 03, 03:48 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Robin Gordon" wrote
i'm getting desperate now. the machine booted at the lowest setting of
100/100 FSB and i reset the bios to 143/143 as usual and mem timings to

fast
& latency to 2 instead of 2.5. the machine wouldnt reboot.
tried usual reset bios with power lead off & nothing, wouldnt even spin

the
fans.
* new PSU and the fans spin but it still wont post.
* different working memory = no post
* another mobo = no post
* new CPU (XP2400+) = no post.

i have all the bits to build another computer but still cant get it to

post
or boot up.
i'm really missing the power of my athlon but luckily i've still got a
trusty old p2 333
anyone got advice for a really ****ed off individual.

Hi,
I don't have a clue what the problem is, or in fact what mobo, CPU, etc you
are using?

Wayne ][

Old September 12th 03, 06:20 PM
Frank Weston

OK, let me get this straight:

The system POSTed at 100/100 FSB.

You reset BIOS to 143/143 and the system wouldn't POST.

You've replaced the motherboard, powersupply, memory and processor,
(essentially created another system) and it still won't post.

Have you checked to make sure it's plugged into the wall? Is the monitor
on? Does the monitor work? Is the monitor connected? How about the video
card? Is it in the socket? Do you get any beeps? Should you get any?

Old September 12th 03, 07:56 PM
alexis

maybe a IDE cable the wrong way round?

Old September 13th 03, 03:13 AM
Jibby

Mong comes to mind

Old September 13th 03, 04:38 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Jibby" wrote
Mong comes to mind

Had to re-read that comment, then I burst out laughing, mong lol! I didn't
hear that taunt since I was a kid at school :-}

Wayne ][

Old September 13th 03, 06:00 PM
Ben Pope

Robin Gordon wrote:
i'm getting desperate now. the machine booted at the lowest setting
of 100/100 FSB and i reset the bios to 143/143 as usual and mem
timings to fast & latency to 2 instead of 2.5. the machine wouldnt
reboot.

Right. So potentially you made the RAM have to perform in (100/143) *
(2/2.5) = 0.56. Well... about half the time it was performing in? Thats a
quite serious step. What RAM are you using?

tried usual reset bios with power lead off & nothing, wouldnt even
spin the fans.

Completely dead? Odd from an overclock. Clearing CMOS (when the CMOS is
actually cleared, not just when you think it is) usually solves the problem,
since it boots at normal FSB with relaxed memory timings.

* new PSU and the fans spin but it still wont post.

OK, so PSU may have been dead. Assuming that problem is now rectified.

* different working memory = no post
* another mobo = no post
* new CPU (XP2400+) = no post.

Hmm. Pretty weird, since you've now changed everything.

i have all the bits to build another computer but still cant get it
to post or boot up.
i'm really missing the power of my athlon but luckily i've still got a
trusty old p2 333
anyone got advice for a really ****ed off individual.

Pay somebody to do what you clearly cannot. Ask them questions.

Ben

Old September 14th 03, 04:06 AM
E_\\_¼__½__¾__F

Sounds as simple as taking the cmos battery out for a few minutes woulda fixed it to begin with. I could be wrong.

Old September 15th 03, 11:06 AM
Robin Gordon

just checked out a few sites & bbs's and found a site with a gallery of
blown cpu's and by the look of it both my XP2400+'s are noe extinct. i did
use a HS+F rated for 3000+ and had been using it for ages but even with
heatsink compound (silver stuff in a small syringe that came with the HS+F)
it seems to have burned it out.

Sorry to have bothered you all.

Robin(