How hot can my AMD XP cpu get ?

Old October 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
Tod

Default How hot can my AMD XP cpu get ?

I have an AMD XP 2000 (A 6-8-0)
Using a nice big Heatsink and ball bearing fan
I'm trying some overclocking, increasing FSB/Memory on a K7S5A PRO
I've seen the CPU get as hot as 49C
How hot can this CPU get before becoming unstable ?

Old October 2nd 04, 03:34 AM
frank

Normally, above 55, I would start to make it stop increase. At 60, I would
consider being on the borderline. Yeah your cpu would still run at 60, 65,
however, it might get slower and personally, I don't think it's safe.
Especially if it's to overclock. When overclocking, try to remain below the
45-50 range. If you can't, look for new cooling products.
hope this helps

Old October 4th 04, 03:24 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Lee" wrote in message
its rated to about 90c before it fries if im not mistaken.

This seems about right, but my A7N8X board cuts off at about 75 or 80ºc
"Note, º is alt 167"
Only reason I know this is cause when I first put it together
I some how missed hooking up the cpu fan.
Something that some1 who is reading up to try to pass A+
should not forget.

"frank" Wrote.
Normally, above 55, I would start to make it stop increase. At 60, I would
consider being on the borderline. Yeah your cpu would still run at 60, 65,
however, it might get slower and personally, I don't think it's safe.
Especially if it's to overclock. When overclocking, try to remain below the
45-50 range. If you can't, look for new cooling products.
hope this helps

My 2200+ can go over 50ºc and still stay stable.
It goes unstable over 55ºc or so.

Denny. ;-) :-)

Old October 4th 04, 01:42 PM
Michael Brown

Tod wrote:
I have an AMD XP 2000 (A 6-8-0)
Using a nice big Heatsink and ball bearing fan
I'm trying some overclocking, increasing FSB/Memory on a K7S5A PRO
I've seen the CPU get as hot as 49C
How hot can this CPU get before becoming unstable ?

How big is a tree?

The question has no answer, as it depends on your cooling, the quality of
the board, the CPU, luck, etc etc. The only answer can be given by testing
it with a program such as prime95 and seeing if your system is stable. Even
if there was an exact answer, the inherent inaccuracies in the temperature
monitoring system would render the answer pretty much useless anyhow.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old October 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

How hot can this CPU get before becoming unstable ?

Dual Athlon XPs (ok, MPs but same device) commonly run vastly hotter
than that - 78oC were not uncommon in some clusters. The ideal, however,
is around 50-55oC with 60oC limit in summer say.

What you should check on any new build is the HD temperatu
o Typical desktop drive specs are 52-55oC
---- lower than this and you increase their life somewhat
o Typical operating temp for desktop should be 45oC at idle
---- identify via S.M.A.R.T. HD tools like HDDTemp (shareware util)
---- be aware that many utils don't specify which HD temp is reported :-)
o Baseline operation under heavy I/O
---- HD benchmarking tools are good, but I prefer a big Norton AV scan

HD typically dissipate ~7-22W depending on size (2.5"/3.5") & rpm (7.2k/10k),
so not a huge amount of cooling is required - just a few cfm in most instances.

If you used thermal heatsink compound as opposed to a TIM pad:
o More compound is not better
o Only a tiny film is required to fill the void

When you have two flat metal surfaces in intimate contact they actually only
contact at 3 points. Additionally, no two metal surfaces are perfectly flat - they
have microscopic voids which as the two surfaces meet remain full of air. Whilst
heatsink compound is a poor insulator versus metal, it is better than air :-)

TIM pads have improved from the first offerings (although remain 1-use in
general), but in tight thermal situations you can use say Artic Silver & such.
For a CPU around 50oC it really isn't worth doing.

In a Coloco centre, the temperature varies from the bottom/middle/top of the
rack - invariably many run CPUs far far hotter than "domestic" environments.
Hard drives are something that do not like heat - if you need a specially high
operating temp drive (eg, car use or such) Hitachi to a 2.5" -20oC to +85oC.

So CPUs can get very hot, Dell desktops in particular run there's "quite toasty" :-)
Baseline first, decide if any action is needed, prioritise, then change one item at a
time with measurement repeated to verify benefit. 51oC is fine, nothing to do.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items