"Hanging Up On Dell Tech Support", Business Week 10/10/05 (link)

Old October 5th 05, 11:11 PM
S.Lewis

Default "Hanging Up On Dell Tech Support", Business Week 10/10/05 (link)

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

Old October 6th 05, 12:52 AM
Patrick L. Parks

S.Lewis wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

It's really too bad that things are going this way in the computer
industry. The problem is that every mfg is doing it to compete with the
competitors and keep competitive pricing.

Just glad that I have a good deal of computer savvy and can fix most
problems on my own. If a hardware component does fail, it will be a
toss up to deal with Dell or just but a replacement and be done with it.

Old October 6th 05, 05:56 AM
Steve W.

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

"That's one of several ways in which Dell will encourage customers who
want more support to pay extra for it. In November the company will
launch a slate of new offerings, including remote assistance so
technicians can take control of the customer's PC to fix problems. And
early next year Dell will introduce a series of one-year memberships so
customers can opt for various levels of help, at various prices. One of
the options will likely include a quarterly PC tune-up, in which a
techie would remotely clean up the hard drive and check security
settings."

Well that is NEVER going to occur on any machine I have. I don't care
who sold it....

Old October 6th 05, 01:44 PM
Kevin Childers

"Steve W." wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

"That's one of several ways in which Dell will encourage customers who
want more support to pay extra for it. In November the company will
launch a slate of new offerings, including remote assistance so
technicians can take control of the customer's PC to fix problems. And
early next year Dell will introduce a series of one-year memberships so
customers can opt for various levels of help, at various prices. One of
the options will likely include a quarterly PC tune-up, in which a
techie would remotely clean up the hard drive and check security
settings."

Well that is NEVER going to occur on any machine I have. I don't care
who sold it....

And what makes you think you'll even be consulted on this at some future
date? I can't seem to remember who, (OK, so I'm getting old) but at least
one company used to ship their machines with an app that automatically
downloaded their updates and other junk. The app was shipped enabled and
connected when ever you went online. Just like the ads on AOL, NetZero, or
the Fixlets on BigFix.

Wish I could remember the name, I do recall that the app wasn't uncommon
and wasn't a bad idea at the start. But as with any backdoor, to many
people got (aka hacked) a key and it left the machines wide open to any one
with minimal skills and a desire to mess with some ones PC.

Old October 6th 05, 02:53 PM
Rich

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 07:44:26 -0500, "Kevin Childers"
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

i'm not the original poster but...when i buy a new PC i either specify
that no apps come pre-installed or I completely wipe the hard drive,
re-install the OS and go from there. might not be an option for mos
folks but it works for me.

73,
rich, n9dko
Old October 6th 05, 03:43 PM
Steve W.

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message
"Steve W." wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

That was/is Backweb. One of the first items that I check for and destroy
on any machine I work on. I'll treat any new program like it the same
way.

Old October 6th 05, 07:56 PM
Kevin Childers

"Steve W." wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

That's the one, shortly after it became popular, various hacks came out
and so on with each upgrade in the app, a new hack came out. Now who was it
that loaded in all of their OEM installs and what genius decided it's
factory default state should be enabled/on? Your solution seems to be the
general consensus of everyone I know of who ran into it.

Old October 6th 05, 10:08 PM
Steve W.

"
"S.Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

Compaq/HP, had it running by default. I believe Gateway also ran it that
way. Not sure who made the decision to "help" their customers with that
"useful" program but they should have been drawn and quartered....VERY
SLOWLY...

Dell had it on some machines but it was not enabled by default, although
it was REALLY easy to enable it by mistake. Kind of like MS Find Fast is
in Office....

Oh well it could be more interesting. Just had a cry for help from a
person who bought a used G4 Mac... He wanted to know why he couldn't get
Win XP to load on it........

Old October 6th 05, 11:15 PM
Irene

I said it over a year ago. Dell's Tech Support has gone totally to pot and
ONLY when their customers get angry enough and start walking away in large
numbers will Dell take action.

It happened with the business division and Dell acted.

Now it sound like it MAY be happening with the consumer division.
What that action will be and how far it goes remains to be seen. So far it
is mostly speculation and half promises. But one thing I am sure of; the
final result will depend primarily on just how many customers Dell has walk
on them and how fast.

It is going to take a lot to get this former loyal customer back.

Irene

Old October 7th 05, 03:28 AM
Administrator

S.Lewis wrote:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...02.htm?chan=tc

Stew

Be very careful. The DellBots on this group will attack you for saying
anything negative about the great Dell!

Dell Tech Support rila Dell Computers 48 April 1st 05 09:01 AM
My horrible ATI tech support call Lydokane Ati Videocards 12 July 25th 04 12:57 AM
LITEON's dark secret? No Longer a LiteOn Customer Homebuilt PC's 49 April 15th 04 04:41 AM
BUYER BEWA Dell Tech Support for Home Buyers PC Gladiator Dell Computers 26 November 28th 03 06:09 AM