Help wth selecting a laser printer

Old November 15th 09, 10:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

Default Help wth selecting a laser printer

"Warren Block" wrote in message
.. .
James King wrote:
I got the USB to Parallel (UTP) adaptor last Friday afternoon.
I downloaded most updated drivers for HP LJ 2100 laser printer from HP
website.

Please stop top-posting, it makes replying to your messages more
difficult.

You most likely do not need the HP drivers. One that will work with the
LJ2100 should be included with the operating system. There are three
that come with Vista, so 7 should have them also.

Connecting the USB to parallel adapter should cause Windows to detect
it and add a port. Then you can manually add a printer, select the
driver, and set the port.

In Vista, this goes:

Control Panel
Add A Printer
Add A Local Printer
Use an existing port: USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)
Install the printer driver
HP
HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6 (or PCL 5, or PS)

I sense that the problem has to do with UTP adaptor not driver. As
described in the previous post, Win 7 did not accept Vista x64 driver, but
accept XP x64 driver. But it failed in printing (without prompting any
error). This suggests the problem with the UTP adaptor.

Now, I am looking for a new laser printer. James

Old November 16th 09, 01:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

James King wrote:
[...]

Those drivers did not come with your Windows 7. They are not native and
may not work.

But it failed in printing (without prompting any error). This
suggests the problem with the UTP adaptor.

Did Windows recognize the adapter?

The description suggests a driver problem, or possibly it's trying to
print to a parallel port because HP drivers don't expect that printer to
be installed on a USB port. Please uninstall all of them and try the
steps above.

Now, I am looking for a new laser printer. James

Since you already have the adapter, it costs nothing but time to try it.
OTOH, if you really want a new printer, that's all right too.

Old November 16th 09, 12:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I think you're just hung up on bottom posting because you are so used to
being under North Dakota that you just expect everything to be underneath.

;-)

Art

Old November 16th 09, 02:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Phred

In article , Warren Block wrote:
James King wrote:
I got the USB to Parallel (UTP) adaptor last Friday afternoon.
I downloaded most updated drivers for HP LJ 2100 laser printer from HP
website.

Please stop top-posting, it makes replying to your messages more
difficult.

I'm glad to see you have overcome the problem quite successfully.
Well done!

You most likely do not need the HP drivers. One that will work with the
LJ2100 should be included with the operating system. There are three
that come with Vista, so 7 should have them also.

Connecting the USB to parallel adapter should cause Windows to detect
it and add a port. Then you can manually add a printer, select the
driver, and set the port.

In Vista, this goes:

Control Panel
Add A Printer
Add A Local Printer
Use an existing port: USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)
Install the printer driver
HP
HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6 (or PCL 5, or PS)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old November 16th 09, 05:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Additional note: if the included drivers in Windows 7 aren't adequate,
HP does have Windows 7 universal drivers that should work with the
LaserJet 2100. The first two are PCL5 and PCL6, which should work with
all LJ2100s. The third is the PostScript driver, which will only work
with LJ2100m or models that have the additional PS DIMM. Careful,
ridiculously long URLs...

Windows 7 32-bit
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=4062

Windows 7 64-bit
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=4063

You will probably have to manually select the appropriate port (USB001
or something similar) where the printer is attached.

Old November 16th 09, 11:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nobammer

James King wrote:

Thanks Warren.

Here is a problem: HP 4050 and 2100 come with a parallel connector, not a
USB connector.
I am looking for similar printer(s) which comes with USB connector.

The reason is as follows: Yesterday, I received a new Dell desktop computer
(XPS 8000) with Windows 7. The tower does not have a parallel connector.
So I need USB-laser printer.

Just buy a parallel to usb printer cable and it will work fine. I have
been using one on my HP 4000 LASERJET for the last 3 years.

Your suggestion would be appreciated. James

"Warren Block" wrote in message
. ..

James King wrote:

I am currently using a 10-year old HP laserjet 2100 printer but it is
dying.

In what way? Those aren't bad printers, and some things are inexpensive
to fix.

So I am looking for a printer.
For printing cover papers (70 -80 lb), the output should be in the rear.
Otherwise, the paper will be curled excessively.
Could someone advise me which monochrome laser printer (s) allows to
print
papers out in the rear.

Most of them, at least if they're not bottom-end. The LaserJet 4050 has
a similar footprint but is taller. A better printer, too.

Old November 21st 09, 03:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

"Splork" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:56:06 -0700, "James King"
wrote:

Thanks Warren.

Here is a problem: HP 4050 and 2100 come with a parallel connector, not a
USB connector.
I am looking for similar printer(s) which comes with USB connector.

The reason is as follows: Yesterday, I received a new Dell desktop
computer
(XPS 8000) with Windows 7. The tower does not have a parallel connector.
So I need USB-laser printer.

Your suggestion would be appreciated. James

The HP2200 has USB, Parallel and the "N" has a network
controller. "D" is self contained Duplexer. DTN is full
featured with 2nd 500 Page tray.

I own a 2200 and a 4050. Best printers HP has made IMO. I
like the 4050 better due to the control panel and style but the
2200 built in Duplexer is just plain cool.

Do not get a parallel to USB converter/cable. I have heard
reports of inability to get these to work.

Get a parallel port card for the tower. If it has pci slots, I
know this works out well. Newegg has some PCI parallel port
cards that work very well under XP. Read the reviews. I think
it was Sybex that was the winner.

Windows 7 is beyond my experience range. You need to address
drivers for the printer under Win 7. Look for those first. I
would think drivers will be a larger issue than connectivity.

I tried to work with PTU cable to work out HP 2100 about four or five times.
I tried the last time today (Friday)., I gave it up today.
Dell XPS 8000 came with only one PCI slot.
The slot is now occupied by Linkysys wireless adaptor.
So there is no PCI slot in the computer.

I now decdied to buy a Brother HL-5370DW lasers printer which is quite
simiar to HP2100, hoping its Win7 driver could worn on my mahcine.

Finally, I found that Windows 7 was a pain. Two other printers in my office
are not compatible with Win7. I am very regretted for buying Win7 machine.
XP is a great OS program. Another protem with Win7 is that many programs
(having bee used for my business) could not be installed on 67-bit Windows
7. I have no compalaint about XP.

I decided not to buy any more Windows 7 machine.

James