Help wth selecting a laser printer

Old November 2nd 09, 06:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

Default Help wth selecting a laser printer

I am currently using a 10-year old HP laserjet 2100 printer but it is
dying.
So I am looking for a printer.
For printing cover papers (70 -80 lb), the output should be in the rear.
Otherwise, the paper will be curled excessively.
Could someone advise me which monochrome laser printer (s) allows to print
papers out in the rear.
Jorge.

Old November 2nd 09, 07:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

James King wrote:
I am currently using a 10-year old HP laserjet 2100 printer but it is
dying.

In what way? Those aren't bad printers, and some things are inexpensive
to fix.

So I am looking for a printer.
For printing cover papers (70 -80 lb), the output should be in the rear.
Otherwise, the paper will be curled excessively.
Could someone advise me which monochrome laser printer (s) allows to print
papers out in the rear.

Most of them, at least if they're not bottom-end. The LaserJet 4050 has
a similar footprint but is taller. A better printer, too.

Old November 8th 09, 03:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

Thanks Warren.

Here is a problem: HP 4050 and 2100 come with a parallel connector, not a
USB connector.
I am looking for similar printer(s) which comes with USB connector.

The reason is as follows: Yesterday, I received a new Dell desktop computer
(XPS 8000) with Windows 7. The tower does not have a parallel connector.
So I need USB-laser printer.

Your suggestion would be appreciated. James

"Warren Block" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 8th 09, 04:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

James King wrote:
Thanks Warren.

Here is a problem: HP 4050 and 2100 come with a parallel connector, not a
USB connector.
I am looking for similar printer(s) which comes with USB connector.

The reason is as follows: Yesterday, I received a new Dell desktop computer
(XPS 8000) with Windows 7. The tower does not have a parallel connector.
So I need USB-laser printer.

If you're otherwise happy with the printer, USB to parallel adapters are
cheap. For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E16812156 005

Old November 8th 09, 06:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

Stuart and Warrant,

Thanks.
I did not know that there is a such converter.
That would help me.
Thanks again.

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
James King wrote:
Thanks Warren.

Here is a problem: HP 4050 and 2100 come with a parallel connector, not
a USB connector. I am looking for similar printer(s) which comes with
USB connector.

The reason is as follows: Yesterday, I received a new Dell desktop
computer (XPS 8000) with Windows 7. The tower does not have a
parallel connector. So I need USB-laser printer.

Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Get yourself a USB to parallel convertor.

Old November 8th 09, 08:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

Indeed it was cheap.
I already ordered one.
Thanks for the info.

Old November 15th 09, 05:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

I got the USB to Parallel (UTP) adaptor last Friday afternoon.
I downloaded most updated drivers for HP LJ 2100 laser printer from HP
website.
I tried to install HP LJ 21000 driver but all failed including Vista x64
driver.
But I was able to install one driver (for XP x64) but it failed in printing.

It is clear that I was not able to use LJ 2100 laser printer for Dell XPS
8000 computer (with Windows 7).
That means that I got to buy a new, USB laser printer for windows 7
machine.

Could someone advise me the brand monochrome printer(s) which thick papers
(like cover paper) can print out in the rear? Thanks. James.

Old November 15th 09, 08:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

James King wrote:
I got the USB to Parallel (UTP) adaptor last Friday afternoon.
I downloaded most updated drivers for HP LJ 2100 laser printer from HP
website.

Please stop top-posting, it makes replying to your messages more
difficult.

You most likely do not need the HP drivers. One that will work with the
LJ2100 should be included with the operating system. There are three
that come with Vista, so 7 should have them also.

Connecting the USB to parallel adapter should cause Windows to detect
it and add a port. Then you can manually add a printer, select the
driver, and set the port.

In Vista, this goes:

Control Panel
Add A Printer
Add A Local Printer
Use an existing port: USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)
Install the printer driver
HP
HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6 (or PCL 5, or PS)

Old November 15th 09, 08:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ato_Zee

I got the USB to Parallel (UTP) adaptor last Friday afternoon.

Many reports of problems with USB to parallel adapters.

Have you tried a PCI parallel card?
Dell desktops should have a spare PCI slot?
If so, many PCI to parallel cards, from about a fiver,
delivered, on eBay.
AFAIR I had to download a load of HP drivers
for Win7, might have been search for drivers, or
from a MS site. Anyway more printers appeared
to select from and one fixed things.
Old November 15th 09, 10:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
James King

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message
news

I got the USB to Parallel (UTP) adaptor last Friday afternoon.

Many reports of problems with USB to parallel adapters.

Have you tried a PCI parallel card?
Dell desktops should have a spare PCI slot?
If so, many PCI to parallel cards, from about a fiver,
delivered, on eBay.
AFAIR I had to download a load of HP drivers
for Win7, might have been search for drivers, or
from a MS site. Anyway more printers appeared
to select from and one fixed things.

Dell XPS 8000 came with one PCI slot (with two PCI-e slots).
The PCI slot is already occupied by Linksys wireless adaptor card.

Actually, I tested the UTP adaptor for my XP computer..
It did not work either.
It seems that UTP does not wiork on HP printers.
Thanks.